Fashion trends you don't buy into

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheDroog, Jun 4, 2008.

1. robin

robin Senior member

I don't buy into $100 clip-on bowties.
    Leave that at sufu! [​IMG] Edit: Also for ftb and macuser, you can now buy them at barney's on sale for $50. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rocks

rocks Senior member

I don't agree with slim cut pants being a trend, I've been wearing them since 2003. Back then some folks I know use to ridicule me about them; however, being a skinny guy I always prefer slim cut pants since they look better on me.

3. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Edit: Also for ftb and macuser, you can now buy them at barney's on sale for $50. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    That's an awful lot of money just to recycle something. [​IMG]

4. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Senior member

Agreed Rocks, and they've been worn in europe for ages. The people criticizing slim pants are often the people who are too porcine to fit them. While not all pants should be slim, there is something very flattering about them on the right people, as it defines the body and shape better than billowing clouds of frumpy fabric.

Also, +1 on some of the "timeless" stuffiness that goes on here in men's clothing. All said, most of the the people in the WAYWT threads look pretty awesome.

5. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

ties with shirts that have the first button undone... looks like you don't care.

6. 76classic

76classic Senior member

Tee shirts that hang so low it resembles a nightgown.

7. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

i try to avoid short term trends at all costs. waste of money

8. jabreal00

jabreal00 Senior member

Sandals really get under my skin. It should only be worn on the beach in Miami or on a boardwalk somewhere.

9. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

no mention yet of crocs?

10. robin

robin Senior member

Those aren't a trend, just people being fucking slobs.

11. academe

academe Senior member

Oh...
    I've never bought into manbags in general, but especially messenger bags. There might be a few styles that work, (rucksacks, briefcases and dufflebags - sometimes you have to carry stuff) but for the most part having some sort of bag over your shoulder has a feminizing effect and just looks bad.

Care to qualify this statement? I just don't see the "feminizing effect" myself...

12. winston

winston Senior member

Care to qualify this statement? I just don't see the "feminizing effect" myself...

I just think it looks a little bit dorkish and slightly feminine to have a bag hanging from the shoulder to waist level.
    [​IMG]

13. academe

academe Senior member

I just think it looks a little bit dorkish and slightly feminine to have a bag hanging from the shoulder to waist level.
    [​IMG]

I just don't agree with you on feminization. I am also personally a little wary of critics who use "feminization" as a perjorative to negatively describe looks or styles they dislike, but may be I'm reading too much into your post...I would agree that over the shoulder messengers probably shouldn't be worn with suits, but are probably fine as part of a casual wardrobe.

14. winston

winston Senior member

I just don't agree with you on feminization. I am also personally a little wary of critics who use "feminization" as a perjorative to negatively describe looks or styles they dislike, but may be I'm reading too much into your post...I would agree that over the shoulder messengers probably shouldn't be worn with suits, but are probably fine as part of a casual wardrobe.
    Whenever I've carried a bag like that I've felt less than dignified, and I've thought the same when looking at other people. Granted, a very masculine male is not going to look too feminine.
    I see no reason why observing that an item of clothing or accessory makes the wearer take on a feminine quality is something to be wary of.

15. Antonio Centeno

Antonio Centeno Senior member

Skinny Ties and Lapels....basically anything that is worn because it is hot for the season unless it naturally compliments the person wearing it.