Fashion trends you don't buy into

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheDroog, Jun 4, 2008.

1. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

This thread should be retitled 'things I don't like'.

Like the Holy Grail thread on SZ which is more of "these are things I want to buy"?

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

harrumph harrumph harrumph

The whole thing is like these guys, only less funny:

[​IMG]

3. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Like the Holy Grail thread on SZ which is more of "these are things I want to buy"?
    Correct. Although in defense of my contribution to that thread, HL silk jeans are pretty rare animals. [​IMG]

4. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

+1. Boat shoes, sandals, flip flops, and brogued shoes are not fucking trends.

I agree with you on the last 3, but I do think boat shoes have come out of nowhere to become hyper-fashionable in the past year or so. Did anyone either here or in magazines mention them a few years ago? I'm guessing not. But now they're ubiquitous. Will Details be touting it in their fall issue two years from now? I doubt it. Hence I think it qualifies as a fashion trend.

5. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

I don't buy into $100 clip-on bowties.

6. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

Speaking of bootcut jeans, they were pretty much the "standard" jean as long as I can remember, so it's hard for me to even think about them as a trend. They've been around for 10 years, plus you can still find it in stores now.

To me, it's the skinny jean that is the trend. It's not a bad trend, b/c it certainly looks good on some people, but I have a feeling the winds of fashion are going to blow towards regular-sized jeans in the near future. For what it's worth, I think bootcut jeans look better on more people than skinny jeans do.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Lanvin boat shoes for the win!!

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

"timeless clothing". aka the fashion trend of SF

+1

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

+1. Boat shoes, sandals, flip flops, and brogued shoes are not fucking trends.

Wrong. They so are. After the 80's, boat shoes were found only on dudes in Nantucket until the last couple of years. And brogued shoes worn with anything but a suit has come into style in the last 3 years or so as well. Try to find distressed brogues from before, say, 2003. Sandals and flipflops I'll agree with you on.

10. John Ellis

John Ellis Senior member

Slim cut pants, skinny ties, flood pants a la Thom, no shirt under your jacket, grotesque patterned and colored leather shoes with big cut off toes.

11. John Ellis

John Ellis Senior member

Wrong. They so are. After the 80's, boat shoes were found only on dudes in Nantucket until the last couple of years. And brogued shoes worn with anything but a suit has come into style in the last 3 years or so as well. Try to find distressed brogues from before, say, 2003. Sandals and flipflops I'll agree with you on.

I have at least ten pairs of brogues of one sort and another, many of which are years old and look "distressed" by which I mean they have a nice patina and cracks. As for boat shoes, I've been wearing them here, there and everywhere including sometimes on a boat, even sometimes a boat in Nantucket, for over 40 years. And so have a lot of people I know.

12. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

"timeless clothing". aka the fashion trend of SF

[​IMG] +1

13. denimdestroyedmylife

Wrong.... And brogued shoes worn with anything but a suit has come into style in the last 3 years or so as well. Try to find distressed brogues from before, say, 2003. Sandals and flipflops I'll agree with you on.
    Wrong. Brogues with non-suit attire has a rich history, from OG Ivy League style (sockless) to skinheads (revival and otherwise).

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I have at least ten pairs of brogues of one sort and another, many of which are years old and look "distressed" by which I mean they have a nice patina and cracks. As for boat shoes, I've been wearing them here, there and everywhere including sometimes on a boat, even sometimes a boat in Nantucket, for over 40 years. And so have a lot of people I know.

Wrong. Brogues with non-suit attire has a rich history, from OG Ivy League style (sockless) to skinheads (revival and otherwise).

I should have said "Not found in NYC boutiques, (mainstream) men's magazines, and fashion fora". Does that make you sticklers happier [​IMG]

15. denimdestroyedmylife