• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion trends you don't buy into

TheDroog

Reaction score
Are there ever any fashion trends or "hot" items that you don't buy into?

I can think of one off the top of my head:

41060050_b1.jpg

Boat shoes: It seems like the style zeitgeist has recently appointed these shoes the best thing since sliced bread. Every issue of GQ and Details highlights them these days, plus there are expensive designer versions coming out every week. I was at Macy's over the weekend and saw a huge sign in the men's department announcing "Boat shoes!" I know lots of people here at SF seem into them now as well.

Now, I don't have anything against boat shoes. They're classics and they look comfortable. I know lots of kids who wore them back in high school. But I doubt I'd ever wear them. That huge exterior stitching, the clunky design ... that's just not my aesthetic. And it seems for the past 10 years they weren't the fashion media's aesthetic either, since you never saw them. But now they're huge. Sorry, but I'm going to take a pass on boat shoe mania.

Anyone else have similar reactions to what's hot at the moment?

sherwin

Reaction score
The way I've witnessed boat shoes come into "fashion" seems like something highly coordinated. GQ will help you buy a new trend when you help clear out their ad inventory.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim cut trousers. I prefer a more classic cut and find the current vogue for ball-huggers a little off-putting. Sure, it looks good on some gents, but certainly not on me.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Slim cut trousers.
Is this really even a fashion trend?

I would say reading GQ would be a trend I avoid.
rimshot.gif

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
And it seems for the past 10 years they weren't the fashion media's aesthetic either, since you never saw them. But now they're huge. Sorry, but I'm going to take a pass on boat shoe mania.

Anyone else have similar reactions to what's hot at the moment?

There's a two-page spread in my local paper today about how "trad/preppy" is in, and suggests shopping at the usual suspects (BB/JPress/RL) to get your prep fix. Hell, Victoria's Secret sells some super-short (pretty hot) seersucker shorts now--seersucker and boat shoes are two prep staples that are "in" now.

I personally like the prep aesthetic and go for a preppy personal style (not too trad, though), but its interesting to see how big its gotten at the moment.

As for "fashion trends," I'll take flannel shirts. They don't work at all in SoFla.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Trad"/preppy, 3 button SB suits, slim cut pants, short jackets.

+1 on the boat shoes. They look pretty idiotic as a fashion item. Just get a boat.

khaki sack

Reaction score
Synthetic fibers, and square toe, shoos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics