• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fashion, smashion

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's funny. i just saw a rack full of ernest jeans with the brown 'oil' stains, yesterday at my local 'crossroads' vintage shop. $38 each. i guess people are dumping them, if they have a whole rack for sale.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LMAO.

From what I hear, Earnest Sewn is dropping a lot of washes (Hutch 05, 09 and 10, as far as I've heard.) and perhaps changing the cuts as well (the Hemingway, I think.) This from a not particularly reliable source, mind you. Remember that last season was their first season, and it takes a few seasons to tweak designs/cuts just right.

rearviewmirror

Reaction score
imo Earnest Sewn needs to rework all of their cuts

the filson, and hutch cuts look especially bad on me, and I know its not just the mirror at bloomingdales.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imo Earnest Sewn needs to rework all of their cuts

the filson, and hutch cuts look especially bad on me, and I know its not just the mirror at bloomingdales.

Both cuts look really good on me. Not very cut is for everyone, by definition. Maybe Earnest Sewn just will never be the brand for you.

Sevcom

Reaction score
From what I hear, Earnest Sewn is dropping a lot of washes (Hutch 05, 09 and 10, as far as I've heard.) and perhaps changing the cuts as well (the Hemingway, I think.)
They've added their own version of the PDC LIT jean, with a new kind of wash (a sort of dark rust/blue shade). Didn't get to try them on, but they seemed pretty good.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the LIT cut in the Clean Light and Crinkle (my favorite) washes. The porkchop front pockets and the flapped back pockets is perfect to pair with a simple tee for the summer, and the slightly flared cut is one of my fiancee's favorite on me, but the jean really requires a simple top (a simple sweatshirt, button down or a tee) to not overwhelm an obsever with details. I've heard about the Earnest Sewn version, but haven't seen it yet, so can't really comment. Such a jean should really be made with heavier and hardier denim, though, in my opinion.

Brian SD

Reaction score
They look horrible on me too. The pockets make my butt look like two upside-down triangles.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look horrible on me too. The pockets make my butt look like two upside-down triangles.
Are youy buttcheeks wierdly shaped
smile.gif
Joking, joking. But you are a skinny guy, and jeans that look good on a 29 are different from what usually looks good on a 33 from what looks good on a 36.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ April 24 2005,20:31) They look horrible on me too. The pockets make my butt look like two upside-down triangles.
Are youy buttcheeks wierdly shaped
smile.gif
Joking, joking. But you are a skinny guy, and jeans that look good on a 29 are different from what usually looks good on a 33 from what looks good on a 36.
Hahaha - maybe I do. I don't think so, there's just not much there
smile.gif
I think it's the shape of the pockets combined with the narrow-ness of my hips/ass that causes it to do that. I look better in jeans that have a straighter seat with a flatter sitting cut (does this make sense?) and square pockets.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have the white man's concave ass
smile.gif
BTW, just got the Yoko Devereaux corduroy hoodie jacket, and it is sweet, if still a little stiff. I still prefer the black cashmere one though. Too bad they did have my size...

benchan

Reaction score
Speaking of oil and ink stains on jeans. Levis is going to launch a new line of 501 under the theme "Scars". The Jeans are supposed to make the wearers look like they were bitten by dogs, burnt by fire or shocked by electricity etc. scarred jeans

colin

Reaction score
These Levi's jeans remind me of somethign that bug me about distressed clothing. In jeans and clothing, and really anything in life, I think people are looking for authenticity and 'realness'. This is the idea behind worn-in jeans and chuck taylors and things like that. Think of the most influential bands of the last few decades, like Nirvana for example, they were popular because they were earnest and people could sense they were genuine about their music. Alongside, Cobain's grunge dress style was then popularized. The thing is, that sense of aloof stylishness, that percieved lack of effort is very difficult to capture, there is no checklist or formula for it. That's why I find jeans like the Levi's scarred so tacky and ineffective in the style they are trying to achieve. Their ingenuine, false. Does anyone agree with me, or do you guys feel the end aesthetic look prevails over a need for 'realness' or any kind of context. O rmaybe i'm just stating the obvious.

Oltmann

Reaction score
I agree with you, colin, those Levis ARE ugly. That's what you said, right?

I mean, you could make them work with the right trucker hat, but other then that...blech.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
it's silly seeing high end clothing at places like Fred Segal, Barneys etc all beat and torn up, so that rich people can look like they are homeless.

i've hated the pre-distressed denim look from day 1 so if that fad is over, i'd be glad

those Scarred Levis are atrocious

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads