• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion on a budget

imdejesus1

Reaction score
I'm a half noob to the fashion game and I really wanna fuel my passion but I don't always have the money for $250 jeans and $500 boots and lord forbid thrifting in my area, the goodie only provides cheap ghetto clothes, and platos closet is a hit or miss (usually miss). I need a list of niche brands (not these stupid mainstream mallwear) that are great in fashion and light on the wallet (uniqlo prices and maybe club Monaco too). Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

playhardgopro

Reaction score
To a great extent, this comes down to preference and personal taste. Try to buy the highest quality items you can - simple items that won't go out of style (so you get your money's worth). Spend more money on fewer items. Avoid H&M and Topshop, etc - they are often on trend but most of their stuff falls apart.

If I was shopping on a budget I might look at some of the following:

- white high-top Chuck Taylors or Vans Authentics;
- suede Clarkes Desert Boots;
- a decent pair of slim or straight (but not skinny) jeans - Levis 501s, Nudies, ACNE if you can afford them (spend more money on jeans - if you get a pair you like you'll be wearing them for years);
- slim chinos from Uniqlo or GAP's '1969' range;
- plain T's from American Apparel (I like the 'relaxed crew' summer Ts and the marl Track Ts);
- American Apparels 'fisherman's jumper'; and
- Uniqlo crew neck athletic sweatshirts'.

imdejesus1

Reaction score

To a great extent, this comes down to preference and personal taste.  Try to buy the highest quality items you can - simple items that won't go out of style (so you get your money's worth).  Spend more money on fewer items.  Avoid H&M and Topshop, etc - they are often on trend but most of their stuff falls apart.

If I was shopping on a budget I might look at some of the following:

- white high-top Chuck Taylors or Vans Authentics;
- suede Clarkes Desert Boots;
- a decent pair of slim or straight (but not skinny) jeans - Levis 501s, Nudies, ACNE if you can afford them (spend more money on jeans - if you get a pair you like you'll be wearing them for years);
- slim chinos from Uniqlo or GAP's '1969' range;
- plain T's from American Apparel (I like the 'relaxed crew' summer Ts and the marl Track Ts);
- American Apparels 'fisherman's jumper'; and
- Uniqlo crew neck athletic sweatshirts'.

Thanks so much for the help. I realized that H&M's quality is not the greatest (the buttons on my blazer just fell off at a party) but I'm definitely gonna check out some Nudie jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads