• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion is not objective

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
GAPxThom Browne
3061938824_4ec89464c5.jpg

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF? I read through your WAYWT and I have no idea why you're getting offended.

in the WAYWT, you posted a pic, and some posters gave you some very constructive advice. There are some who didn't, to be sure, but there you go. But the comments were absolutely the truth: You look like you just rolled out of bed and threw something on. Furthermore, specific advice was given: Iron the shirt/buy some stays, v-neck underwear, v-neck sweater, slimmer/more flattering pants, ditch the shoes as there's too much contrast between them and the rest of your outfit. Look, some people might not like your *style*, but in reality, things like contrast, fit and finish, and even colors play an important role in every "style" out there. You expressed a desire to learn how to stand out on your college campus, and yet are unwilling to accept that what you're wearing does no such thing. "Oh, but the other college kids are wearing..." Who cares? What are YOU wearing? And that's the point of the critique.

Hey, I understand that fashion is very individual. Not everyone in the WAYWTT dresses in the same "style". Get Smart has this mod-skin thing going on that he does extremely well. Chris does the whole Ann Demuelstemygodthenameishardtoremember avant-garde thing. There's a couple guys who do "upscale hipster" (I guess) extremely well. The Berlin guy does this very business/business casual look extremely well. While not everyone would want to dress like these guys, just about everyone who participates in the thread understands the hows and why of why each one of those guys "style" works for them. That's why I'm here, to learn how and why things work, even if I don't want to dress that way.

So, what have I learned? Fit is king. If the clothes don't fit, it doesn't matter if it's $15 cheap jeans or Dior Homme, it looks like ****. You ever see those guys that walk into a Target and come out looking like a million bucks? That's the eye I want to have. The ability to judge fit first and foremost, and then know how to look for the differences in quality and finish and knowing when I can shortcut those. Your stuff in the WAYWTT? If your clothes just fit a bit better, I say you'd look 100% better even keeping the same outfit (although you still look like a frat kid).

If you can't handle criticism or if you can't tune out the guys with no real feedback to offer you, then you shouldn't be posting a pic in the WAYWTT. In fact, you shouldn't be talking to anyone, anywhere, because god forbid someone might disagree with you.

I'm not sure I'd say fashion is subjective, but style certainly is.

And, for the record, today I'm wearing a pair of JV studded Chucks (thoroughly worn out), a pair of destroyed Levi's 514s (big gaping hole in the kneecap and on the pocket), a studded, rusty Hot Topic leather belt, a Jets to Brazil T-shirt with a white undershirt and a black AA hoodie. You know what? I didn't care what I looked like this morning and it shows. I'm not about to post a picture in the WAYWTT because I know what I look like. I'm not proud.
biggrin.gif

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
You ever see those guys that walk into a Target and come out looking like a million bucks?

Shoplifters?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^I AIN'T READIN' ALL THAT ****.

Also, I personally believe that style is dictated to us from Mount Olympus, and therefore is clearly objective. Once everyone figures out that Togas are the true next level, the WAYWT will take off again.

diddy16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
yes

how come all you do is make fun of people but never post any pictures of what you are wearing?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cause I'm a massive tool. Also, I dont have a camera at the moment. Here's a photo of me in full Ghostbusters steez (I'm in the tan Peter Venkman jumpsuit with blue Converse).
15449478_d9d693da05_o.jpg

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diddy16
how come all you do is make fun of people but never post any pictures of what you are wearing?

if you were fat and ugly...you would be pretty bitter also

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not that was the only black kid in my nursery school.

zeni

Reaction score
I had that Ghostbusters gear back in the day! Good times
laugh.gif
I think it's still stashed away in my closet at home

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, that coverall is about 2 sizes too big for you! You should really see a tailor about that. And that utility belt? Have you not heard of a messenger bag? Sheesh. And converse. Come on, couldn't you fork out for a nice pair of Red Wings?
lol8[1].gif

Trackstarr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
This thread is now about posting really subtle runway pictures like this:
tbrosesuit.jpg
vibskov5.jpg
number-nine-spring-summer-2009-62708-1.jpg

... i swear theres something wrong with the world today

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads