• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fashion is not objective

diddy16

Reaction score
After being here for a little while this is my opinion, especially regarding the what are you wearing thread. I do not think that fashion is objective. I believe fashion should reflect a personality and not these shoes cost a lot of money and everyone else told me i should buy them. I love seeing how other people dress, and respect it and even believe i could guess what their personality is like from just seeing what they wear. ok rant over.

strsinthesky

Reaction score
Yeah, I like how some of the models on the runway wear the most ridiculous clothing yet are not ridiculed.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strsinthesky
Yeah, I like how some of the models on the runway wear the most ridiculous clothing yet are not ridiculed.

I fail to see how this relates and I don't detect any hints of sarcasm. It would make more sense to ridicule the designer, they control the direction of not only the clothing, but the show also. As for the OP, it is not that only one style is well received, it is that a few basic points ought to be satisfied in an outfit. I guess the look you were going for is that you don't much care about your overall appearance?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Novel insights. What are your thoughts on religion, art, postmodernism, beauty, and morality?

diddy16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
Novel insights. What are your thoughts on religion, art, postmodernism, beauty, and morality?

see original post.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has shifted gears, get with the program.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by chronoaug
This thread is now about posting really subtle runway pictures like this:

Would probably be better if it was brooks bros methinks. Right? Rite?

And this fearfulness is why we never have any innovation in WAYWT
!

Bislane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
I fail to see how this relates and I don't detect any hints of sarcasm. It would make more sense to ridicule the designer, they control the direction of not only the clothing, but the show also. As for the OP, it is not that only one style is well received, it is that a few basic points ought to be satisfied in an outfit. I guess the look you were going for is that you don't much care about your overall appearance?

I think his point is that while some may judge a WAYWT pic as ridiculous and lacking in "clear principles of style", the same people might praise a runway shot of something that is actually quite similar. In other words it's ok for certain members of the industry to blur the line between the acceptable and the unacceptable (and you can't say this doesn't happen periodically) but not for forward-thinking consumers?

This is assuming a specific scenario but that was what I inferred the OP was getting at - that we may not find something to fit with our set idea of fashion, but it doesn't mean that it should be disregarded without giving it at least a little merit.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug

This is some next level shit! WAYWT here I come!

Originally Posted by Bislane
I think his point is that while some may judge a WAYWT pic as ridiculous and lacking in "clear principles of style", the same people might praise a runway shot of something that is actually quite similar. In other words it's ok for certain members of the industry to blur the line between the acceptable and the unacceptable (and you can't say this doesn't happen periodically) but not for forward-thinking consumers?

This is assuming a specific scenario but that was what I inferred the OP was getting at - that we may not find something to fit with our set idea of fashion, but it doesn't mean that it should be disregarded without giving it at least a little merit.

They are unrelated, many runway items are not meant for the "real" world. Runway items are oft exaggerated, and do not transfer to the real world, except for in small details. He is not avant-garde in any way, shape or form, so attempting to excuse his look under the guise of such is misguided.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.8%
  • 31 - 40