• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fashion faux pas: wearing a suit without the jacket

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't opt for suit jacket and trou sans shirt.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
is this considered a sartorial no-no when going out? i've made dinner reservations for my wife and I and I was going to wear my suit. however, because it's so hot out I didn't plan on wearing the suit jacket and only the pants, dress shoes, dress shirt and tie. yay or nay?

They don't have air-conditioning at that restuarant?
If you wear a suit then wear the suit complete or not at all.
It seems that the suit you are referring to is not a summer suit or made of lightweight fabrics.
Perhaps time to explore the world of Super-100's or higher for a future suit.
For this dinner, you will be fine with any dark jacket and a button-down shirt and chino's.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
They don't have air-conditioning at that restuarant?
If you wear a suit then wear the suit complete or not at all.
It seems that the suit you are referring to is not a summer suit or made of lightweight fabrics.
Perhaps time to explore the world of Super-100's or higher for a future suit.
For this dinner, you will be fine with any dark jacket and a button-down shirt and chino's.

it's definitely not a summer suit. I don't have one and will be investing in one soon.

either way, I wore my suit pants, dress shirt and tie and it wasn't a big deal. since I don't have a summer suit I decided that I wasn't going to sacrifice comfort for style - it was pretty damned humid yesterday. I wanted to look good but considering I saw a good variety of people dressed like slobs (shorts & sandals) I didn't think I looked inappropriate. but, i'll be investing in a summer suit soon someday so this doesn't happen again

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Am i missing some a suit without a jacket is just pants...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Am i missing some a suit without a jacket is just pants...

Yes ,just pants like the question starting the thread...

How about using common sense?

If it looks good ,wear it ,if not drop it...

larsrindsig

Reaction score
10221_office_space_stapler_with_milton1.jpg

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Wearing a tie without a jacket/sweater/cardigan rarely looks good. It usually gives off a generic office worker vibe.

+1.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking from a southern European pespective:
- Suit without a tie may occasionally look OK, if you can pull it off.
- Tie without jacket, NEVER. NEVER when you want to look good. Tie without a jacket looks like you are wearing the tie becacuse your boss told you.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
- Tie without jacket, NEVER. NEVER when you want to look good. Tie without a jacket looks like you are wearing the tie becacuse your boss told you.

Tie without jacket is plain at best geeky...

A suit without a tie is a great look if you have the right modjo and attitude..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
- Tie without jacket, NEVER. NEVER when you want to look good.

I tend to agree with this. For me, no jacket, then no tie.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tie without a jacket is just fine if your job requires a shirt and tie but not a suit. You're worse than a religious zealot. These "rules" are just plain gay. Some of you obviously need to get laid more often.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
A tie without a jacket is just fine if your job requires a shirt and tie but not a suit. You're worse than a religious zealot. These "rules" are just plain gay. Some of you obviously need to get laid more often.

Exactly. That is why it does not look good: it looks like if you were wearing what you are wearing because your job requires shirt and tie, but not a suit.

That is, it looks like if you were wearing the tie because your boss told you to wear it. While we all have to do what our boss tells us to if we want to keep our jobs, you do not necessarily have to follow this dress code when you go out for dinner with your wife. Which is what the OP's question was about.

It is not about "rules": it is about what looks good. Outside the business environment, tie without jacket does normally not look good. It actually looks weird.

(I do not mean that you cannot take off your jacket when it is hot: but entering the restaurant with tie but without a jacket really looks strange. At least around here where I am from.)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is very hot it would be OK-ish assuming that you do not wear braces. The compromise is to carry the coat but not wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads