fashion faux pas: wearing a suit without the jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gaseousclay, Jul 31, 2010.

1. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

is this considered a sartorial no-no when going out? i've made dinner reservations for my wife and I and I was going to wear my suit. however, because it's so hot out I didn't plan on wearing the suit jacket and only the pants, dress shoes, dress shirt and tie. yay or nay?

2. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

A bit of detail about the fabric pattern would be helpful. Assuming the fabric isn't an obvious suiting material, such as a pinstripe, I wouldn't be concerned about wearing the pants independently of the jacket. I'd prefer to see no tie than a tie without a jacket.

Keep in mind that if the pants have to be cleaned before the jacket, you'll want to clean both of the them together at the same time, to prevent differences in color due to cleaning.

3. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Depends on the pattern; for example, if you planned to wear the trousers of a plain grey suit, most people will be none the wiser. If I were to do that, I would not wear black oxfords (for the US, the equivalent applies).

I do not like to wear a tie without a suit, unless required and in those scenarios would wear a sports jacket or at least a sweater (even a lightweight sweater).

4. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Wearing a tie without a jacket/sweater/cardigan rarely looks good. It usually gives off a generic office worker vibe.

5. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Bad move because if done too much the pants may show more wear than the jacket.

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

is this considered a sartorial no-no when going out? i've made dinner reservations for my wife and I and I was going to wear my suit. however, because it's so hot out I didn't plan on wearing the suit jacket and only the pants, dress shoes, dress shirt and tie. yay or nay?

fine

7. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Senior member

If I were to do that, I would not wear black oxfords (for the US, the equivalent applies).

Equivalent?

We wear black oxfords as well.

8. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Equivalent?

We wear black oxfords as well.

but you Yanks like wearing brown shoes

9. jsqfunk

jsqfunk Senior member

during this hot spell in NYC i have given up on the jacket, still wear tie

10. landshark

landshark Senior member

Wearing a tie without a jacket/sweater/cardigan rarely looks good. It usually gives off a generic office worker vibe.

(stealing an argument from olddog/oldtrix)

I have to agree

[​IMG]

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

(stealing an argument from olddog/oldtrix)

I have to agree

I think the rolled sleeves, tie pin and hat make all the difference here. Without those details it would stray into office-worker territory.

12. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

It's fine. I'd skip the tie, too.

13. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Senior member

I think the rolled sleeves, tie pin and hat make all the difference here. Without those details it would stray into office-worker territory.

Or you could swap those for a bike and helmet to give off the Mormon vibe.

14. koolhistorian

koolhistorian Senior member

Are you working for MacDonald's? [​IMG] Either you wear and sweat - the classy option, or go for a nice pair of linen slacks, linen shirt (the tropical option). In my view a linen suit without a tie is better than a tie without the jacket (applicable if you are over 10 yrs)!

15. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Well technically it's not really wearing a suit if you only wear the pants, and I don't think anyones going to notice weither or not your just wearing dress pants or suits pants. I say go right on head and do it, it's not that big of a deal really.