1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fashion design at Ivies+elite Liberal Arts Colleges

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wmmk, Jan 7, 2009.

1. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Hullo styleforum,

I'm in high school and have started thinking about college. I might visit some schools when I'm out east this summer. Anyway, I'm interested in majoring in philosophy or theology at one of the Ivies or Amherst/Williams/Swarthmore/etc. Anyhow, I'm somewhat interested in doing a minor in some sort of fashion design, just for the fun of it.

Brown has a dual enrollment with RISD, which I'll look into. I know Columbia has joint-degree programs with NYC schools like Jewish Theological and Julliard, but do any such programs exist with FIT or Parsons? I was also wondering if there were any fashion courses at Yale Graduate School of Art that undergrads could audit. Any info on the programs I mentioned or even ones I didn't?

While I'd prefer to go to school on the east coast, I'm open to getting a solid liberal arts education elsewhere in the country as well.

Thanks much,
    wmmk

2. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    Hullo styleforum,

I'm in high school and have started thinking about college. I might visit some schools when I'm out east this summer. Anyway, I'm interested in majoring in philosophy or theology at one of the Ivies or Amherst/Williams/Swarthmore/etc. Anyhow, I'm somewhat interested in doing a minor in some sort of fashion design, just for the fun of it.

Brown has a dual enrollment with RISD, which I'll look into. I know Columbia has joint-degree programs with NYC schools like Jewish Theological and Julliard, but do any such programs exist with FIT or Parsons? I was also wondering if there were any fashion courses at Yale Graduate School of Art that undergrads could audit. Any info on the programs I mentioned or even ones I didn't?

While I'd prefer to go to school on the east coast, I'm open to getting a solid liberal arts education elsewhere in the country as well.

Thanks much,
    wmmk

I may be biased but shoot for RISD. You won't be sorry.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

A friend who's designing now went the Brown-RISD route. Seems to me to be the best way to go in terms of formal schooling, though there is much to be said for being in NYC/Columbia.

4. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

5. skiwebster

skiwebster Senior member

FWIW, I had a friend who majored in Fashion design at Cornell while I was there. Don't know too much about the program other than that it exists though.