• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Books

Rich Williams

Reaction score
although I get that there is enough reading on styleforum to keep me entertained for the foreseeable future, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any Style/fashion books that are currently on the market?

Admittedly outside of GQ Style my reading is pretty limited

many thanks

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
Well, many consider Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser to be a great starting point, and it does have a wealth of information, mostly practical in regards to menswear. Gentleman by Bernard Roetzel is another great read, and again, full of great information, and menswear history, you might say. True Style by G. Bruce Boyer is another great one. Definitely an absolute treasure of information. The Rake is a wonderful magazine when it comes to men's style.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to learn about. This thread may be useful

To be honest, I think those "how to dress" books have limited value.

amiga505

Reaction score
The Rake is a wonderful magazine when it comes to men's style.

I gave a try to The Rake e-mag, it felt as if it was something close to 70% ads... simply annoying... cancelled the subscription after a first issue. they do have an essay every now and then on their website which is not without merit though, and as I am subscribed to the newsletter, I read those from time to time...

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
I gave a try to The Rake e-mag, it felt as if it was something close to 70% ads... simply annoying... cancelled the subscription after a first issue. they do have an essay every now and then on their website which is not without merit though, and as I am subscribed to the newsletter, I read those from time to time...
Yeah. I was subscribed to the physical magazine, so it was neat to get a bi-monthly subscription of something that you could flip through, and display on a bookshelf, or coffee table. There is some very well written, and well done articles/stories for sure.

ClassicStyle1950

Reaction score
"Dress for Success" by John T. Molloy needs to be included in any list of "how to dress books". Having said that, I will admit that the book is somewhat dated in some aspects, but it is an excellent read for someone who likes the timeless classic style of dressing....think Cary Grant or Sean Connery.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Best i've red is Farid Chenoune's "A history of men's fashion". Goes back to the origins of modern dressing to late 20th century fashion. Fascinating and instructing.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Having touched on the „how to dress“ books, I‘ll toss in a different suggestion for a change: „I am Dandy“ is a book full of portraits of dandies of various degrees of daring and an interesting insight into what drives various peoples‘ styles.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
Did anyone read Dapper's book yet?

Cantaloupe

Reaction score
Well, many consider Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser to be a great starting point, and it does have a wealth of information, mostly practical in regards to menswear. Gentleman by Bernard Roetzel is another great read, and again, full of great information, and menswear history, you might say. True Style by G. Bruce Boyer is another great one. Definitely an absolute treasure of information. The Rake is a wonderful magazine when it comes to men's style.

Hey thanks for the suggestion, man! Much appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads