• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion advice

Chris Benson

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forums and recently I have taken more of an interest in fashion and how I look. Mainly as stupid as it sounds I walked into a second hand clothing store. Normally I have always assumed that this place was full of dirty, old smelly clothing that is way out of fashion just plain ugly.

Well was I ever proved wrong! Yes, there are some really ugly clothing there, but you do find diamonds in the rough. I found a few pairs of jeans, and a sweater or two and most of it name brand stuff. I bought a pair of Boy London jeans (as new) for just $15 and most of the stuff I have bought there was more in the $3 - $10 range.

The only thing is, jeans were easy to find and there are a few shirts there. But nothing like I'm looking for. Also if you have suggestions on nice pairs of jeans I would like to look into that also. I just want to start learning a little bit more.

Can you guys suggest some shirt brands that make really nice combos when wearing jeans? Part of the reason I ask is I will probably do some bidding on e-bay. So instead of looking through hundreds of auctions I can really narrow my search down.

BTW just so you know I'm 30 years old, slim with very little build. I have a 32 waist 34 inseam, size large shirt.

I generally like jeans that are low cut, straight leg and have some sort of unusual look about them (Taverniti jeans) and accent the butt. (< Hope that doesn't sound weird)

Thanks!!

AdmiralGrafSpee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris Benson
Mainly as stupid as it sounds I walked into a second hand clothing store. Normally I have always assumed that this place was full of dirty, old smelly clothing that is way out of fashion just plain ugly.

Thrift stores are not stupid by any means. I think you will find that quite a few members here visit them on a regular basis.

Here is a thead in the Men's Clothing forum in which many thrift store finds are displayed:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=9006&

Clench Million

Reaction score
PC New Standards, size 30 waist (they stretch 2 sizes).

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
APC New Standards, size 30 waist (they stretch 2 sizes).

+1

pinoy

Reaction score
BTW just so you know I'm 30 years old, slim with very little build. I have a 32 waist 34 inseam, size large shirt

are you sure on the shirt measurement? hopefully you aren't under the illusion that shirts that blouse out around the waist look attractive..

Chris Benson

Reaction score
The problem I have is I am very long in the arm, so medium shirts are much too small for me. I know that having a shirt that is too big isn't attractive. Most times I tuck my shirt into my pants if it's a button up dress shirt (&lt;which I wear very rarely)

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
post pictures of what you wear normally, and we can give you tips to &quot;bring it up to date&quot;

Chris Benson

Reaction score
Don't really know how to post pictures.

My normal wear is usually a pair of jeans and a t-shirt or muscle shirt with a open button up short sleeve shirt. I really like earthy colours and black.

When it's cold I wear a t-shirt and a sweater. In winter up here it's more about being warm than fashion.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

datasupa

Reaction score
Can you guys suggest some shirt brands that make really nice combos when wearing jeans?

shirts do not go well with jeans, actually

Chris Benson

Reaction score
Can you suggest something that does? I don't really wear that many button up long sleeve shirts. Too warm in the summer.

hi-val

Reaction score
Don't really know how to post pictures.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1937

If you have wonky shirt sizes (which everyone has), I suggest getting some shirts made. Land's End has an affordable program to get shirts made and Jantzen does it too. Getting two or three shirts will take you a LONG way.

If you're looking for tees, I think the little black dress of the men's wardrobe is the black tee shirt. American Apparel has good cuts and if you define your price range, people here can tell you what's good for what price.

And thrift stores are ridiculously good. I will hate the day when I grow out of wearing ironic thrifty shirts. I'm currently wearing a girl's soccer shirt with "Katie" on the back. Growing up is gonna suck.

selbsttatig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa

Can you suggest something that does? I don't really wear that many button up long sleeve shirts. Too warm in the summer.

laugh.gif

Chris Benson

Reaction score
I'm going to try and post some pictures.

This is a picture on myself and my cousin on a hiking trip. Some of the things you see I wouldn't wear when I'm trying to look good. Namely the hat, backpack and GPS around my neck.

Me goofing around with my cousin's boyfriend. (No I didn't cut his head off)

Me in my kilt at my cousin's wedding. I am starting to wear my kilt when I go out on socal occiasions. I go for more of the grunge celtic look and not so formal. Really makes me stand out from the crowd and the ladies all want their picture with me.

Normal day to day wear for me.

Concepts_BLC

Reaction score
As far as shirts with jeans go..... I would check out the "I came from nothing " post. That is a shirt brand you want to hop on ASAP!!!!

joking

Welcome to the site!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads