farmers insurance agent- good career choice?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by grizzlybear, Feb 27, 2012.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Have you considered stripping?

At this point, just about anything seems more legitimate than being a farmer's agent.

2. Insurancegal

Insurancegal Member

Yeah, I did, but I think I will sell mortgage insurance for Symmetry Financial Group instead. [​IMG]

3. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Have you considered becoming an agent for Obamacare? Much better job security than Farmers would afford!

4. Insurancegal

Insurancegal Member

How do I apply to represent Obamacare? Do you know of any companies in the Chicago area?

5. Dr. Class

Dr. Class Member

I am a Farmer's Insurance Agent and let me tell you, being a Farmer's Insurance Agent is actually a great thing. we have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like any profession. I for 1 am a great person, have great friends, and i take care of every one that is in my life and i am glad to do it, and for that i have people that love me around me. also, Farmer's Insurance Agent parents are some of the best parents you can have. sometimes they can be really strict, but they will take care of you no matter what, and they will buy you what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish ****head. Also, we all have lots of money and a family that we all love and take care off.

6. Insurancegal

Insurancegal Member

My concerns are that there are lots of posts about agents being forced to leave and then having to pay back thousands of dollars. I am already in debt. That is why I want to sell insurance. Insurance is something that everyone needs, and the pay is good. I have heard that Farmers policies are more expensive than some others so it is hard to sell. I cannot make more debt. I am tying to make a better life for my family. Dr. Class, thank you for your input though.

7. otc

otc Senior member

Ah yeah, the stripper market is not very good in the city itself. Can't get a liquor license unless you wear pasties.

Have you considered working at CDW. Why sell insurance when you could sell computer shit?

8. Insurancegal

Insurancegal Member

Insurance is something that everyone needs...good money...help people get the coverage that they need. I have applied with BDS marketing to sell Dell computers at Best Buy. Waiting for the background check to come back. I will do this Saturday and Sunday during the peak hours and the rest of the time hope to sell insurance. Thank you for your suggestion. The computer sales will be fun supplemental income, but I have the need to support my family, too. Have a great day!

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Gal, I like your positive attitude.

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

What is BDS marketing? Best Buy doesn't pay on commission though so it doesn't matter what days you work.

11. Insurancegal

Insurancegal Member

BDS Marketing hires people to promote and educate customers about Dell products in Best Buy stores. It is just extra money for me, and they are paying $16.00 an hour.

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

This shit is HIGH LARRY OOS!

13. janeB

janeB New Member

I had to write something about experiencing this thread "Farmers Insurance Agent - Good Career Choice?" Yes this thread still lives! I just lost my recent job as a graphic designer because the owner is going out of business quick-like. So this is the first time in my long career where I am out of a job and looking. That said my resume must have floated around the internet because several different Farmer's Agencies have contacted me over the last few days... (AND NO ONE ELSE!) ...by email, by text and by phone! So here I am thanking almost everyone who shared in creating a LONG and HILARIOUS THREAD that gave me some great laughs since losing my job...in particular the wry and darkly witty musings of those 'senior stars of styleforum.'

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

[​IMG]

15. demon5

demon5 New Member

I'm looking at this thread and seeing all these people talking about this as a scam and having to pay 450 to get licensed and such and not from state but farmers itself. I had been contacted by them and went in. I'm not paying a dime for anything at all. They paid background check and paid for the training to get license and are going to pay for both state licenses and then go through all the farmers training. Now this isn't through some random agent but the farmers regional hq for northern california. Also the training I've gone through for license so far says if you don't have the actual state licenses (at least in ca I know for sure) that you can't even talk to customers on phone as customer service to setup or transact anything until you have the state license. they do have options from using their office for free and meet sales quotas or take loan and open your own agency or buying other retiring agents book of customers. The later options don't require any quotas and just require you to know how to sell.

I don't see how it would be a scam. I mean you not being able to sell doesn't mean it's a scam. If your a sucky car salesman you get no commission. If you can sell ice to eskimo's you will be rich. Also those talking about the internet killing regular agents, well that may just work out for me because I run a major online electronics store and know how to market on the internet to bring the people to me. I just need to get past the fact that I'm falling asleep trying to get through 52 hour class and it's followed by a 40 hour one. Once you have the licenses you can just drop farmers and go to any company or start one yourself.

But again I see my story is different as they are paying everything for me to get started.