• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FAO Brits/Londoners: advice for a suit and accessories on a small-ish budget?

Treen

Reaction score
I've nothing to add to the suit and shoe advice, as most has been said already.

However, as you're in London, for a good place to look for interesting/esoteric accessories, try Old Hat, down Fulham High Street. They would add something to an otherwise fairly standard outfit.

Milgauss

Reaction score
If you're a slim 5ft 6" I would suggest River Island for the suit. Ted Baker also sells nice suits but they are double the price. Check out House of Fraser for shirts, ties, belts and shoes - there's a big range of brands and this weekend there was 20% off. Zara is also good for shirts and ties. The sales would be the best time to get shoes, but you'll have to wait till the end of June. Again, try House of Fraser since they do Loake, Barker, Oliver Sweeney, etc.

HugoP

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

As far as shoes go, what do you reckon I should be spending on a good quality pair of shoes then?

I might be able to stretch to a bit more for a really nice pair, where else could I look?

Also, where could I look for inexpensive, leather bags/briefcases?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No to patent leather for work wear - it is meant to be for black tie/evening wear only.

You could try all of the various department stores for a bag, you might also check vintage stuff - leather bags hold up pretty well so I don't see why you shouldn't get a second hand one, I know a couple of people who have pretty decent second hand leather satchels. Would a part canvas bag be totally unacceptable? you should find out, because they can look good and are cosiderably cheaper than leather bags.

HugoP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
No to patent leather for work wear - it is meant to be for black tie/evening wear only. You could try all of the various department stores for a bag, you might also check vintage stuff - leather bags hold up pretty well so I don't see why you shouldn't get a second hand one, I know a couple of people who have pretty decent second hand leather satchels. Would a part canvas bag be totally unacceptable? you should find out, because they can look good and are cosiderably cheaper than leather bags.
Yeah, I would never have got those. I was just putting them up as an example of the shape I was looking for. I've noticed some Barker ones below though which look like exactly what I'd like, if the quality is there. I could probably get away with a part canvas bag, though would prefer leather. I remember seeing lots of leather goods stores around Spitalfields recently, I'm not sure if they do bags though. I might ring up that store in Fulham and ask if they might have anything suitable.
Originally Posted by Milgauss
The sales would be the best time to get shoes, but you'll have to wait till the end of June. Again, try House of Fraser since they do Loake, Barker, Oliver Sweeney, etc.
Are Barker meant to be good quality then? I had a look at these makes and these paira of Barkers (the Newhall and Northampton from the International range) were my favourite in terms of style and available online for about £150, which I could probably stretch to if they were going to last a bit:
NEWHALL_BLK300.jpg
NORTHAMPTON_BLK300.jpg

flatfront

Reaction score
It's always worth checking out John Rushton Shoes on Wimpole St too. A great shop that always has some bargains from the likes of Cheaney and Sargeant. John is a great guy and will sort you out for sure.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barker are I think about the same quality as Loake (never owned any though), which means steer clear of their cheapest shoes - they may not be goodyear welted (which means you can't replace the sole) and the leather used to make the upper may be bad quality "corrected grain" I am not as into my shoes as a lot of people here, but bad corrected grain shoes do not last and they are very uncomfortable. I would look into flatfronts recommendation, never been there myself but if they have a knowledgeable guy who can help you out that would be good. The quality of these shoes really does make a big difference and it is often not immediately apparent (to us uninitiated anyway). http://www.loake.co.uk/Shop/Products.../PID-747.aspx# - these loakes might be worth looking into, you would have to find out wether or not they were corrected grain though. I know it is a bit more than the price you quoted, but if I were you and I didn't have time to wait for sales I would try some of these on and if they fitted get them and maybe just one other pair of shoes till the sales. Could you do with one pair for smarter days and wear an older shoe left over from school/uni a couple of days a week just till you get your first pay? http://www.loake.co.uk/Shop/Products.../PID-ALD.aspx#

HugoP

Reaction score
Barker are I think about the same quality as Loake, which means steer clear of their cheapest shoes - they may not be goodyear welted (which means you can't replace the sole) and the leather used to make the upper may be bad quality "corrected grain" I am not as into my shoes as a lot of people here, but bad corrected grain shoes do not last and they are very uncomfortable. I would look into flatfronts recommendation, never been there myself but if they have a knowledgeable guy who can help you out that would be good. The quality of these shoes really does make a big difference and it is often not immediately apparent (to us uninitiated anyway). http://www.loake.co.uk/Shop/Products.../PID-747.aspx# - these loakes might be worth looking into, you would have to find out wether or not they were corrected grain though.
The Northamtons are Goodyear Welt ( http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/ ). I've no idea if they're corrected grain though. I'll have a look at John Rushton as well.
I know it is a bit more than the price you quoted, but if I were you and I didn't have time to wait for sales I would try some of these on and if they fitted get them and maybe just one other pair of shoes till the sales. Could you do with one pair for smarter days and wear an older shoe left over from school/uni a couple of days a week just till you get your first pay? http://www.loake.co.uk/Shop/Products.../PID-ALD.aspx#
I could probably stretch to that kind of price. Would you suggest that I have more than one pair of shoes at a time then? And there will probably be a distinction in my job between regular and 'smarter' days.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just buy a decent suit in your price range and some shoes like these to keep you going for some time:
http://www.kurtgeiger.com/online-sho...r-big-business

Then follow what is on sale on the B&S thread and order stuff from there. You can't find good deals on briefcases etc from the stores in London.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HugoP
Would you suggest that I have more than one pair of shoes at a time then?

Well shoes last longer if you alternate wearing them, ie don't wear them every day, you put them on shoe trees and it lets your sweat and any other moisture they have picked up dry out etc.

But if you can't afford to do this get a decent looking pair, like the ones Pocket Circle suggested which look fine and are pretty cheap or one of the pairs of loakes (I wouldn't get the barkers with the funny little holes, but that is just personal taste) and just make do untill you can afford to spend a little more money and a little more time.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally Barker are much better than Loakes once you get beyond the corrected grain models.
The Heritage range is very nice quality for the price: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/ranges/149.php

I think all the international range are calf rather than corrected grain, and IMO are nice shoes for the money. The Northampton is certainly calf.

I don't know whether they've got much left in stock, but the Thin Red Line of Saville Row recently had a sale of re-branded Alfred Sargents for £79 rather than £221. Alternatively you can often pick up Grenson Rose (I'd generally avoid their other lines) on ebay for under £100 - check the seller will do returns if they don't fit though if you're unsure of sizing.

HugoP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
What about Thin Red Line for the shoes? Edit: Oh, looks like ManofKent beat me to it while I was reading the thread
smile.gif

Again, they generally look slightly on the chunky side for my tastes. They don't have any of them in my size either.
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
Then follow what is on sale on the B&S thread and order stuff from there.
Which is the B&S thread?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HugoP
Hello everyone. I'm 22 and have just been offered my first permanent job, which is pretty decent and starts this Tuesday. I generally aim to look my best, but due to lack of money I've only really been able to get two Topman suits in the past for the various low-paid admin jobs and internships I've had, which fit me quite well but one of which is already getting a bit tatty. Subsequently, I'd like to get at least one more new suit of a markedly better quality and fit, a couple more shirts and ties and possibly another pair of shoes (I have a pair of slim-fitting, pointy brogues which I like, but they're not the best quality and starting to look a bit tatty). I'm still not massively flush with cash yet though, so would probably be looking to spend about £300 max per suit, £100 for shoes. What would you guys recommend I do? Are there any 'high street' places you'd consider acceptable? Any hidden, cheap gems anywhere? Might it be worth sticking with the cheapest stuff I can get right now and saving up for something of higher quality in the future? As for style, I'd like something quite sleek and modern. One problem is that I'm only 5ft 6", and I found that when I was quickly searching for my first suit years ago most of the smallest off the rack ones in the high street stores were way too long, Topman was one of the few which had smalls that fitted okay and only needed very slight altering on the sleeves. I'm a 36" chest though (although wouldn't even be that if I didn't work out haha). Also, do you guys have any tips for any accessories or little touches I could add to make my attire appear more expensive than it actually is, or to help set off the suit? For instance if you know of any places where I might be able to find an inexpensive, but good leather messenger bag (nothing too bulky), or perhaps briefcase? Thanks a lot.
Bookster for the suit. Head by John Rushton for the shoes.

HugoP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
If you're in London, there is a hard to find store called House of Brands (if I remember right) where they have Aquascutum and cheaper line Boateng suits in that price range.
It certainly is hard to find, I can't find any references to it anywhere online or in the yellow pages haha. Do you mean House of Fraser.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads