• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fantasy Football 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yep its that time of year again...

Anyone else playing this year? I drafted yesterday.
Curious to see what resources people use, what people think about individual players, etc.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quit playing last year because all the guys I know put on skirts and started playing with Team Defense instead of individual defensive starters. Pussies.

The top 3-8 players are fairly easy in a given year and then you just hope the one you get stays healthy. I take great pride in my late round value picks who post big numbers down the stretch. I'm very much a RB guy and usually play in leagues with a flex player. When my value picks pan out, I have three starting RBs with 100yds and 2TD/week. As a rule, I don't like rookie runningbacks, but Reggie Bush is for real. But the better rookie runningback is going to be Laurence Maroney.

Maroney's old teammate, Marion Barber III, will also have a big year after Jones goes down with injury.

LT or LJ have to be #1 at RB. I'm probably more of an LT guy.

I like the patriots, great year to have their team D.

Stax

Reaction score
my league doesn't draft until after the preseason games have ended.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I drafted 11th in a 14 team league, yeah, we use team defense... sorry. We DO live draft, two continents, six cities, and it usually takes us 5 hours as it is, with individual Def players, the draft would be painful to the nth degree... QB ( Drafted 2 - Start 1) Drew Bledsoe/Trent Green WR ( Drafted 5 - Start 3) Steve Smith, Donald Driver, Matt Jones, Justin McCareins RB (Drafted 4 - Start 2) LaMont Jordan, Warrick Dunn, LenDale White, Curtis Martin (yeah I know, he probably won't play this year, but I drafted him with my very last pick on a flyer that he would recover halfway through the year and I'd have an extreme value pick.) TE (Drafted 2 - Start 1) Vernon Davis, Zach Hilton K (Drafted and Starting 1) Adam Vinatieri DEF (Drafted 2 - Start 1) Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys NOW The fun part... Traded away: Drew Bledsoe (yeah, if he stays healthy, he's going to have a hell of a season, BUT he's also going to take a lot of punishment this year, so I'm betting that he spends a little time on the IR. I'm wary of the T.O. factor) I'll be picking up Tony Romo the second he goes down though...
smile.gif
Matt Jones Vernon Davis Traded for: Aaron Brooks - huge upside this year, a team full of weapons, one of the better O-lines in the league, his scrambling ability, higher INT total than I'd like - but no more than Bledsoe. Points wise - the way my league scores, he's going to be more consistant I think, and he's my backup to Trent Green anyways. Drew Bennett - A better 3rd WR than Matt Jones. Jerramy Stevens (I'd rather have a TE coming off a solid 60 fantasy point season in a high powered offense than a "potential" 80 point producing TE that is untested AND has a wuss at QB) Per request: 1.\t(11) \tL. Jordan \tRB 2. \t(18) \tS. Smith \tWR 3. \t(39) \tW. Dunn \tRB 4. \t(46) \tD. Driver \tWR 5. \t(67) \tT. Green \tQB 6. \t(74) \tD. Bledsoe \tQB 7. \t(95) \tMa. Jones \tWR 8. \t(102) \tL. White \tRB 9. \t(123) \tV. Davis \tTE 10. \t(130) \tA. Vinatieri \tK 11. \t(151) \tWashington \tDEF 12. \t(158) \tJ. McCareins \tWR 13. \t(179) \tDallas \tDEF 14. \t(186) \tZ. Hilton \tTE 15. \t(207) \tC. Martin \tR

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Slim:

Hope you like last place.

For a small fee I'll help you draft next year.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Slim: Hope you like last place. For a small fee I'll help you draft next year.
Steve: I'll bet you $20 that I don't end up in last place. What exactly would you have done differently? Especially since you are pretty much clueless as to what options were available to me when I drafted anyone, maybe you shouldn't be so friggin smug. Over the past 4 years, I've won once, come in second once, come in 6th once and come in 14th once. Thats a pretty good track record for a 14 team league. I drafted 14th last year and came in dead last... my one pathetic season tempered by the thrill of watching the Seahawks in the Superbowl. Regardless, I'm in the top half of my league most of the time. And I've never drafted any higher than 6th.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I drafted 11th in a 14 team league, yeah, we use team defense... sorry. We DO live draft, two continents, six cities, and it usually takes us 5 hours as it is, with individual Def players, the draft would be painful to the nth degree...

Think of it as an opportunity to show off your legs. Pansie.

smile.gif

I have played team D, and probably will again this year, just because all my friends want me to play and the trash talking will be worth it. If pressed, I'm going to claim it's a kilt. I dislike Team D because you can't win the championship unless you have one of the top 6.

My so-called friends started to switch to team D the year after I won the championship in 2002 and had Derrick Brooks (4 tds), Urlacher and Keith Brooking.

Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
QB ( Drafted 2 - Start 1) Drew Bledsoe/Trent Green

WR ( Drafted 5 - Start 3) Steve Smith, Donald Driver, Matt Jones, Justin McCareins

Really and seriously look for another backup WR. Green Bay's McCarthy is planning to run a more pure version of the West Coast Offense and that means a re-emphasis on the skinny post/slant. It's Favre's best pass and gonzo stats for Driver, but he's going to take a beating. I completely expect most of GB's wideouts to hit injury's sometime this year if the team commits to this game plan.

Think about the Packers Donald Lee as well. TE is going to be another area of focus for the pack. It's going to be a horrible season in GB everywhere else.

Good luck in fantasy ball this year.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
We draft on the 29th - and we've always used team defense in my league.

Been playing with the same group of guys since about '92. Draft used to be an all day Saturday thing at someone's house in Tucson - now we're all over the country, so we run the league through a site on CBS Sportsline and it's all done over the internet.

I've never won the whole thing, but I've finished second a couple of times - including last year. Looking to improve again and will be starting my research soon.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I dislike Team D because you can't win the championship unless you have one of the top 6.

I've never had that problem.

smile.gif

TheRookie

Reaction score
Who did you pick 11th, Steve Smith or Lamont Jordan? It would be more interesting if you put the round number in parentheses beside each pick.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheRookie
Who did you pick 11th, Steve Smith or Lamont Jordan? It would be more interesting if you put the round number in parentheses beside each pick.

Good point, I edited my previous post to resolve this glaring oversight on my part.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Dude;

Your draft wasn't bad. Your trades after were.

I won last year and the year before. And am winning baseball by 20 games.

I am the Tiger Woods of our little group.

Not to mention very humble about my accomplishments.
tounge.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
And I'm not betting you anything about last in a 14 team league. Especially when you were chicken to bet on your girlie men in the Super Bowl.
sly.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Dude;

Your draft wasn't bad. Your trades after were.

I won last year and the year before. And am winning baseball by 20 games.

I am the Tiger Woods of our little group.

Not to mention very humble about my accomplishments.
tounge.gif

Oh... so you are mocking my trades... well I guess we'll have to see what week Bledsoe goes down in.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My league drafts on the 4th of September. Your draft looked solid, but trading for Brooks as a viable option at QB is akin to hoping Clay Aikens will become the George Michael of his generation, even though he has Rick Astley written all over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads