Fancy Restaurant Attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GuP, Apr 2, 2008.

1. GuP

GuP Senior member

I am going to be taking my girlfriend to Daniel's, a fancy NYC restaurant, for her birthday. I was wondering if you guys could recommend what to wear. The restaurant states explicitly that a jacket is required. I was just thinking of wearing my navy suit, with a skinny navy tie and some black AE PAs. Is that an acceptable choice of clothes? Or would it be too much of a business-meeting look? I don't really have another suit that I could wear. The navy is the only nice one that I have. As always, thanks for the advice!

2. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I have been to Daniel's a few times for dinner and have usually opted for a nice sportcoat (I rarely wear suits at social occasions). A suit works just as well, though I would suggest that you wear a livelier tie to avoid the "business meeting look."

3. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Do you have a more colorful tie? Or say a pink shirt for instance.

4. academe

academe Senior member

I am going to be taking my girlfriend to Daniel's, a fancy NYC restaurant, for her birthday. I was wondering if you guys could recommend what to wear. The restaurant states explicitly that a jacket is required. I was just thinking of wearing my navy suit, with a skinny navy tie and some black AE PAs. Is that an acceptable choice of clothes? Or would it be too much of a business-meeting look? I don't really have another suit that I could wear. The navy is the only nice one that I have. As always, thanks for the advice!

What about a more formal looking sports coat and complimentary trousers? You could wear an open-collared shirt, and look quite smart...

5. WestIndianArchie

WestIndianArchie Senior member

Kinda on topic

The jacket only places - are you supposed to keep the jacket on during the meal?

I went to the Prime Rib (here in DC) couple months ago, and I suffered through that pretty heavenly meal with my suit.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Kinda on topic

The jacket only places - are you supposed to keep the jacket on during the meal?

I went to the Prime Rib (here in DC) couple months ago, and I suffered through that pretty heavenly meal with my suit.

If as I understand your meaning, you are implying that wearing your suit inflicted suffering on you, you urgently need a new suit--one that fits you properly!

7. Meursault

Meursault Active Member

Kinda on topic

Yes, though degrees of enforcement vary. Otherwise what would be the point of asking you to bring the jacket in the first place?

8. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Kinda on topic

Yes, and, if the suit fits, whats to suffer?

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Out to dinner in general, I wear a suit and tie or jacket and tie. Holes in the wall are the exception.

10. GuP

GuP Senior member

Gentleman, thanks for the suggestions. I, too, was wondeirng if you keep your jacket on all the time. And now I know!

The suggestions about the sportcoats - the thing is that I don't really have any sportcoats. I just have this one navy suit. I guess I can always go out and buy a sportcoat but I rather not.

HomerJ - I just looked in the closet and found a pink shirt that I have never worn before. It's a tyrwhitt shirt with cufflinks. I bought it on impulse and have never found an occasion to wear it. I alos just noticed that it's a 16/34 and I usually wear a 15-15.5/33-4 slim fit shirts in Brooks Brothers. Can I get the shirt tailored and taken in on the sides so that it fits better and doesn't dangle too much? OR just leave since I will be wearing a jacket all the time anyway?

Suggestions about a tie?

11. marc237

marc237 Senior member

If the neck fits, any tailor/seamstress ought be able to bring in the sides a bit for you. Under the suit, would likely be fine as well.

12. WestIndianArchie

WestIndianArchie Senior member

Yes, and, if the suit fits, whats to suffer?

- undershirt
    - cotton dress shirt
    - wool suit
    - silk tie

= hot

I can't see how a better fitting suit would make it more comfortable.

13. marc237

marc237 Senior member

- undershirt
    - cotton dress shirt
    - wool suit
    - silk tie

= hot

I can't see how a better fitting suit would make it more comfortable.

Ditch the undershirt, go with a lighter suit. Tie ought not add that much. Sorry, but if the restaurant is overheated, just maybe. Otherwise, really ought keep jacket on.

14. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

how about wearing the navy suit jacket with a dress-up jeans, nice pair of shoes and ditch the tie?

you don't want to look too business like or look as if you are ready to propose.

15. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Out to dinner in general, I wear a suit and tie or jacket and tie. Holes in the wall are the exception.

I applaud you, but people in San Francisco must stare at you.