Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fancy dinner and a broadway show, need some help with my clothing selection

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aberrant, Jul 31, 2011.

1. aberrant

aberrant Member

I just purchased a BB Fitzgerald blazer (the one with pewter buttons) and some medium gray trousers. I'm trying to find a shirt that takes this away from the traditional look and I'm thinking about a striped shirt on a white background. I REALLY like this shirt, and I'm curious if it would look good or not: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

I would also add a touch of flare with a linen pocket square, but I'm not sure how that would look sans tie. Any advice?

2. aberrant

aberrant Member

I also considered a purple shirt, but I think a paterned over a solid shirt will add more pop. I'd like a point collar as well, I'm not a fan of button collars.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Looks nice, though a button collar would be wiser sans tie. Others have a tendency to flatten underneath your jacket unless you're careful.

Yes to the pocket square, it'll be fine sans tie.

4. aberrant

aberrant Member

Do the black stripes standout in a bad way since there's nothing to tie them into the outfit? Also, what is the thought on french cuffs with just a blazer, no suit?

5. skefferz

skefferz Senior member

Since this is will be a fancy dinner, you can show a bit of class with cufflinks--maybe silk knotted ones. But you should be wearing a tie--like a dark gray one with that striped shirt.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

6. aberrant

aberrant Member

As far as a pocket square, solid or paterned color? Also, I'm worried the black stripes on the shirt aren't going to match the navy blazer and will look out of place, can I tie the shirt in with cuff links or a pocket square?

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Though I'm wearing a multistripe at the moment there are few that call out to me. I much prefer a bengal stripe for the aforementioned look than the shirt you've picked.

Try this one http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...BLUE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null

The burnt orange stripe is cool if you want to have a little fun without going overboard. No need for French cuffs if the occasion only calls for blazer.

I tend to avoid mid grey slacks with a navy blazer, look to much like you're the security guard for the event rather than a spectator. Try a stone color or a light tan. Unless you are feeling particularly bold just wear a White pocket square in a casual fold (just stuff it in the pocket).

For future reference black does go perfectly well with navy and you don't need to anchor it with anything.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

That shirt would be awful with a blazer and no tie.

Wear a colorful pocket square like either one of these and a solid pink or blue shirt.

[​IMG]

or this

[​IMG]

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Probably a stupid question but....why?

10. SkinnyGoomba

Mostly because it's a somewhat formal dress shirt with a spread collar and French cuffs. It does not lend itself well to being worn casually.

11. unbelragazzo

Spread collar? Doesn't look too spread to me...the wide stripes seem to me to give a somewhat less formal look also. The french cuffs are somewhat formal, but I don't think that prohibits wearing the shirt with a blazer and no tie

12. SkinnyGoomba

You asked why and those are some of the reasons. Nothing can 'prohibit' the shirt from being worn with a blazer, it's just far less optimal than other more casual options.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

13. unbelragazzo

OK, I agree with your french cuff point, but I'm arguing even that it is a spread collar or a formal pattern. It's described as a point collar on the site, and the many-stripe pattern doesn't seem that formal to me. I thought generally the less "clean" the pattern, the more informal?

14. aberrant

aberrant Member

On the website for the restaurant (Daniel) it says Jacket required, tie suggested for gentlemen. Could I pull off the multi-color shirt in my original post with a tie, and add some cuff links?

15. unbelragazzo

Of course