• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

family members on facebook

dmass1

Reaction score
I'm sure there are several threads on facebook, but this one's kind of specific...

How do you all deal with family members on facebook? Specifically, how do you deal with a mother or father who is your "friend" on facebook?

My mom has recently joined the book and I'm not happy about it. Obviously I had to accept her as a friend, and of course I have my privacy settings set and I'm smart enough to monitor what goes onto my page. However, censoring some things are unavoidable. Although I never really post statuses, she's constantly "liking" people's posts on my wall and posting pics of me on hers. Don't have the heart to tell her to stop, but I've mentioned that its kind of wierd.

I know some of you have to have this same issue to some extent. I'm considering just deleting my account because I'm not big into facebook anyway, but I like it for creeping purposes and stayin in contact with old friends.

What to do?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Facebook was much better (for the users) when it was only available to college students. My mother is also on FB, so is most of my family. I don't post anything that I wouldn't want them seeing - but that was never a problem in the first place. I'd imagine that the girls who used to get tagged in photos of them pissing on the side of a building with 30 ppl watching are the ones that were the most affected.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmass1
I have my privacy settings set and I'm smart enough to monitor what goes onto my page. However, censoring some things are unavoidable. Although I never really post statuses, she's constantly "liking" people's posts on my wall and posting pics of me on hers.

Sorry, I just don't see a problem with this. So your mom is posting pictures and liking things that people write about you - people know she's your mom, most people are going to think it's cute. Once I turned, like, fourteen, I stopped being embarrassed by my parents.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't friend her. Problem solved. When she asks why you didn't, tell her that I don't want you to see all of the ish that is on your page.

(Disclaimer-I'm not on FB.)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Sorry, I just don't see a problem with this. So your mom is posting pictures and liking things that people write about you - people know she's your mom, most people are going to think it's cute. Once I turned, like, fourteen, I stopped being embarrassed by my parents.

This.

And in my case, my family members are witty and hilarious and whenever there is a DT dogpile on teh kwilkster they will join in.

dmass1

Reaction score
Agree that it was much better when it was for college students only. My page is now about as private as it gets (no pics other than my profile pics, unsearchable for people other than friends and friends of friends, and I delete any wall posts or pictures that I wouldn't want my family or co-workers seeing).

I can't tell if I'm being uptight about it or if its normal to be annoyed/slightly embaressed when my mom is "liking" things on my wall and posting pics of me on hers. My brother doesn't seem to have a problem with it, but he also doesn't have a problem putting up emotional statuses and posting pictures of himself on his own wall with his shirt off (which is a whole different can of worms)

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was briefly facebook friends with my 10-year-old niece and 8-yar-old nephew, and I just ended up having to delete them. I want that sad, disillusioning parent-child discussion about Creepy Uncle Rob's Diseased Brain delayed for as long as possible.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
going through this now as my grandparents just joined facebook. i don't mind they like photos, posts, etc. i have since censored my comments on current events, sports, life, etc.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I want that sad, disillusioning parent-child discussion about Creepy Uncle Rob's Diseased Brain delayed for as long as possible.

So, no cute John Hughes movie about you?

aphextwin07

Reaction score
i've had family requests (dad, uncles, aunts) sitting in my inbox for years now, i haven't accepted any. facebook is for friends, not family.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I was briefly facebook friends with my 10-year-old niece and 8-yar-old nephew, and I just ended up having to delete them.

Awe. Sounds precious.

But what you did was cold.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
WHy have facebook in the first place OP?

This.

I haven't been on facebook in like 6 months and it hasn't affected my social life one bit. In fact, if anything, it's gotten me away from everybody I friended who wants me to play FarmVille with them.

Facebook is just one more time burglar amongst many in this digital age of ours.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
i've had family requests (dad, uncles, aunts) sitting in my inbox for years now, i haven't accepted any. facebook is for friends, not family.

This^^^ is what I would do if I was on FB!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads