• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Falling in love - Charity Edition

xpress

Reaction score
Am I a noble person?
Not really.

Have I ever volunteered?
Not willingly.

Has that all changed?
Absolutely.

A friend of mine wants to to volunteer with a knock off of Big Brothers, Big Sisters.
Him, not being a confident man, invited me to come along.

We met with the agent, who is an attractive brunette, who happens to be a year younger than me.
The conversation quickly altered course from the program, to our (lack of) mutual friends, where we went to school, etc. She was very flirtatious, and sent me an email 10 minutes after the meeting. It was like my amigo wasn't even in the room.

I immediately creeped her facebook, and judging by our lack of mutual friends, I have concluded she is a homebody. (Small city)
Her profile is hidden, and her display pic is small, but shes with a guy (I'm presuming/hoping a father-figure... Too hard to tell).

Her email was basically a "A pleasure meeting someone who has a big heart, and is willing to help out" all that crap...

Like many full-time volunteers at these places, she's trying to get a teaching job. I have loads of connections with principals in the area, and have succeeded in getting friends interviews in the past...

The question is - how do I respond to this email?

I can't volunteer with this program, because they require a 6 month commitment, and I'll be leaving in 4'ish months.
... And honestly, I don't know if I really want to.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send her a reply asking if she knows any other volunteer orgs that will take shorter commitments or don't require any, specifically any that she may be involved with as well. Then casually mention to her that you know many administrators in the school district that you could put her in touch with for her teaching job search. Finally you ask her to a get drinks to discuss further (assuming she drinks).

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't listen to w/a. The proper approach here is to tell her you'd like to recruit her for a new NPO you're starting - the "Xpress Foundation for the Donation of Teh Meat to Pretty Ladies."

She'll be putty in your hand.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has all the makings of a mediocre sitcom episode.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't listen to w/a. The proper approach here is to tell her you'd like to recruit her for a new NPO you're starting - the "Xpress Foundation for the Donation of Teh Meat to Pretty Ladies."
She'll be putty in your hand.

You are a genius. OP, please disregard my first reply.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You made a big mistake by not asking this woman whether she was single when you talked to her in person. I suspect that the man in her FB profile is her SO, and what you interpreted as very flirtatious behavior was merely earnest recruiting for the charity. If you still want to give it the old college try, I suggest that you lead off your responsive e-mail by expressing your interest in her, and asking about her relationship status. If she's single and willing to go out with you, you're in and have topics for conversation. If she has a boyfriend, you respond by telling her about your connections and come off as a standup guy. Win-win.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The question is - how do I respond to this email?
I can't volunteer with this program, because they require a 6 month commitment, and I'll be leaving in 4'ish months.
... And honestly, I don't know if I really want to.

tell her you enjoyed meeting with her and learning about the program. Unfortunately, after learning of the 6 month commitment requirement you cannot get involved because of professional conflicts that will prevent you from doing so. Then mention further how you enjoyed meeting her and then ask her out for drinks.

Worst case she'll say no. Best case she'll say yes. plus any rejection you get will be totally impersonal.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads