Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Falling for a girl w/a kid

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ken, May 3, 2006.

1. ken

ken Banned by Request

I think I am. Cautions?

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

if you become serious, it will change your life to an extend you simply will not believe. good luck

3. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

What's her relationship with the child's father? That's what I'd be concerned about.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My wife had a kid (I knew him when he was born.) Definitely changes life. Watch Jerry Maguire or something...

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

if you're used to moving in and out of relationships relatively easily - and planning to keep doing so - this one might be stickier. (just a guess, not having had that experience.) if you're a heartbreaker, remember you'll be breaking two hearts.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

What's her relationship with the child's father? That's what I'd be concerned about.

Excellent point. Plus, do you get along with the child? VERY important.

7. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior member

Move on without the baggage.

Also for the girl, worst gift a parent can give a kid is a step-parent. Doesn't even matter if it's a good step-parent.

It's nice to say, "I am the parent of my own children".

M8

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Also for the girl, worst gift a parent can give a kid is a step-parent. Doesn't even matter if it's a good step-parent.

Uh... no.

A parent could give a half-ass relationship with a lowlife "real" parent. This would be the worst.

The best gift a parent could give is a clean break with said real parent.

I'll just leave it at that.

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Move on without the baggage. Also for the girl, worst gift a parent can give a kid is a step-parent. Doesn't even matter if it's a good step-parent. It's nice to say, "I am the parent of my own children".
    This is by far some of the worst advice I have ever seen.

10. Martinis at 8

Martinis at 8 Senior member

Uh... no.

A parent could give a half-ass relationship with a lowlife "real" parent. This would be the worst.

The best gift a parent could give is a clean break with said real parent.

I'll just leave it at that.

I would ditch the lowlife real parent too, but just not hook up again. Choose wisely the first time, and if one chooses wrong, then don't choose again.

M8

11. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

To summarize:

It is how you get along with the child that will likely make or break the relationship.

The situation with the child's father is also important to know. It may be problematic, or not, but you should find out as much as you can.

Stepfamilies are tough, but can be done. It's just that the chemistry involves more than the usual two principals.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Move on without the baggage. Also for the girl, worst gift a parent can give a kid is a step-parent. Doesn't even matter if it's a good step-parent. It's nice to say, "I am the parent of my own children". M8
    I'm usually pretty evenhanded in my comments, but you are just wrong, this both from personal experience and from observing lots of other cases. Just as an example, I know one guy who never found the right woman, and he raised/is raising, a household full of "unadoptable" boys. I would say that he gives them (he is not a foster parent, but has formally adopted all of them, so he is not doing this for the money, trust me) an immeasurably better upbringing than any one of them would have had being bounced from foster home to foster home, or from institution to institution. I'm probably not the first to tell you this, but if I am, I may be doing you a huge service. You come off as a pompous ass in writing. Fok. (not writing as a moderator).

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

sorry, M8, got to agree with Fok. I love that my son looks like me, but I would love him anyway. I know a lot of people who are raising children that aren't their own, biologically. the important thing here is not to fuck over the kid here - to understand going in that you are basically taking on the responsiblities of a family.

14. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

20% of all Americans don't know who their real Daddy is anyway. Sucks, doesn't it?

15. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

I think I am. Cautions?

how old's the kid?

remember, if you split up with her, you're going to have to 'split up' with the child as well. this may be harder than you think if you have developed any sort of emotional bond with the kid (which, depending on the amount of time together and the age, you probably will have). definitely not a reason not to go for it though.