• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fall/Winter Wedding Guest Attire (Toronto)

mrturtle

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some help with my wedding guest attire for this Saturday.

I'm attending a Saturday 2PM wedding at a small church for a mid-20s couple. The 5 or 6PM reception is at a Chinese restaurant/banquet hall.

I think it's my girl friend's high school friend(s) that is getting married, and I'm just going so I can keep her company. I've been told that the reception will be more or less the younger crowd, but I still think I should definitely wear a dark suit.

Sadly, the only contender is the 2B mid gray suit that is quite tight on me. My question is, will I look out of place wearing a light colored suit? It's almost winter up here in Toronto... I was also thinking a little less formal look with black dress pants and dark brown cotton jacket since the wedding is at 2pm, but then I think that's too casual.

SO.... if I have to get something for the occasion, what choices do I have to pick up something dencent by Saturday morning, assuming I go in Monday lunch time to get measured? I'm willing to spend 600~700, but the real challenge is getting it done on time because I don't like off-the-rack too much.

If I do get off-the-rack, what colors are safe? Navy, charchoal, and dark brown?

EDIT: I don't know if this matters but I'm 31 and I don't know anyone at the wedding includig the bride and groom.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy or charcoal are safe bets for suit colours, good also for job interviews, the office (if you have to wear a suit),court dates, your wedding etc.

mrturtle

Reaction score
Thanks. If I only have 5 days, is my only choice getting it off-the-rack?

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 62 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 119 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 17.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 26 7.2%