• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fall looks... much to ernest's chagrin

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over on Andy's we had a pattern matching chat recently and I mentioned that I like playing with textures as well as patterns sometimes by using different materials... I'm sure most have seen the 'Country Gentleman" look in various fashion layouts this fall... we were bored making ads so played around a bit while shooting ebay stuff the other night. Here's an example of mixing textures and materials as wellas patterns, Jill raided my closet to dress Woody for an ad for the sportcoat in this pic. We have... Wool/Cotton blend shirt, Cashmere/Silk blend tie, Linen vest, Cashmere sportcoat, silk pocketsquare. Added benefit... if you listen closely you can here Ernest shriek in pain at the agrarian pallette selected... we're one pair of alligator loafers from driving him nuts on this one. Whatchya tink?
textures.jpg
mainpic.jpg
"Decide what manner of man you wish to be taken for, then dress the part."

dorian

Reaction score
about driving ernest nuts? It's great.... The ensemble isn't too bad either....
wink.gif

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not if you had spent 8 weeks working on the perfect weight of silk cashmere blend to make a seven fold out of cashmere for your own line you wouldn't :)

Bias - What CBS denies and I freely admit.

fareau

Reaction score
I think that this is a brilliant ensemble; I really like the colours, patterns, and textures. It seems a very refined look that communicates a sense of relaxed elegance. That Woody is one sharp dresser.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I like the fall look, particularly because earth tones match my natural coloring.

I love your ties, Chuck. On Friday, I rushed to the Barney's New York sale here in Tokyo and nothing compared (in price or quality) to what I have gotten from you.

But, I think I would have chosen a darker colored tie, or a lighter colored shirt. Maybe if the colors of the vest and tie were reversed, it would do that little bit more for me.

Bic

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I seem to remember A. Harris, if i'm not mistaken, saying that sulka was no more. The question came up when i saw a pair of sulka pants for the first time in a really nice super 150s wool and posted on the forum to ask about the company. From the photo it looks like they're still in business, which is nice, cause they make some great stuff. And that is a nice tie ;p Care to link your site?

aybojs

Reaction score
I'll just add in the dissenting opinion, not to crap on the thread or anything, but just to say that all earth tones do is a elicit a big "UGHHH" in me. Brown is the one color, that aside from leather goods, I would almost never allow into my wardrobe, with the exception of maybe cords.

The clothes themselves look nice, but the combination just strikes as tacky and just generally unappealing.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - that silk cashmere blend tie was a test... after the reviews it got I have 3-4 more colors planned. Going to do that one in earthy tones for that softer and less rigid look.

I love cashmere but MAN did it take a while to figure out how to do it with a proper weight... the 35% silk (in the stairstep) gives it just a little shine. Turns out that to do cashmere with all those folds you have to spin it like silk with very long fibers ... then the silk gives it just the right rigidity and a little sheen.

Funny how thinking about how to mix silk and cashmere into a nice tie over a good bottle of wine lowers one's blood pressure :)

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aybojs - I used to think that way about anything that wasn't black, navy or gray too but I got bored.... Turns out that, oddly enough, I get more positive comments when I go for that color scheme than the darker colors.

Goes to make a good point that everything depends on one's subjective likes and dislikes and their pallette.

...but one thing I have learned is that most people look better in brown than what they expect at first. I have to talk some folks into it, but 90% of the time they come back and say "you were right".

Remember the real purpose of the outfit - to bug Ernest. Every now and then in life one must pause to bug ernest.

...and Ernest? I am just teasing you my friend.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember the real purpose of the outfit - to bug Ernest. Â Every now and then in life one must pause to bug ernest. ...and Ernest? Â I am just teasing you my friend.
I wish we could have custom titles under our member names on the side column. Ernests would be "The French nephew that you just love to tease".

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. Reminds me of the pictures in the Andover Shop catalog.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas, Sulka is no more. Hopefully someone will revive the name someday. There seems to be some remaining stock of Sulka around because I've seen new Sulka items sold in a few stores, including Filene's Basement (as recently as one month ago). Of course, there's always EBay, which always has various Sulka items, from ordinary golf shirts to the occasional stunning vintage cashmere jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics