• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fall essentials

dhinggok

Reaction score
GQ did an article about them and the Men's Clothing section has a topic about it. So, what do you think are the essentials for fall?

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
Pea Coat. But... that's been a fall essential for as long as I can remember. If you want something new... cowboy shirts. Every college campus in the USA is going to have hundreds of them this fall, except mine, where I am the only one! haha!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Another nice cardigan. I have the Fred Perry CDG one and it fits like a dream, would like to find another equivalent.

familyman

Reaction score
Good sturdy all weather boots for when the weather finally turns. Either a work boot style or a more refined style but in a construction that can really take it and will age well. Denim heads will start to demand their footwear meet the same quality standards as their jeans starting this fall.
I think the discount cashmere bubble will continue and everyone will be sporting a new 'cashmere' sweater of some sort this fall. If you ask anyone what their new sweater is made of everyone will say cashmere. Everyone.

Etz

Reaction score
Two things I liked from that article (Or it might have been in Details, but whatever.) were Houndstooth and the Tweed Blazer.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I can't wait for the weather to cool off a bit. I have a black cashmere cardigan and a light grey cashmere vneck that I'll be wearing a lot. I'm planning on picking up a crew neck sweater and a zip mock neck sweater as well. I love sweaters and wear one almost every day once the weather cools off a bit.

I definately need some new shoes though.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Same here, can't stand this heat in socal. I'm going to pick up a khaki military style jacket, cardigan and some sweaters from br since they'll be on sale next week. Also 4 pairs of chinos for work.

minya

Reaction score
I would love some recommendations for some nice, slim, fitted sweaters, be they v-neck or half-zip. Any ideas?

gza

Reaction score
I bought so much cool weather clothing on sale in the spring that I can't think of anything I need for the fall...I'm just waiting for the weather to change so I can bring out that stuff.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
I would love some recommendations for some nice, slim, fitted sweaters, be they v-neck or half-zip. Any ideas?

BR has some decent ones on sale at the moment. I got a nice blue/black striped sweater there last week for $20 that was pretty fitted and looked nice. It was like 75% cotton 20% silk 5% cashmere, and felt really soft.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I buy all my sweaters from a place in Vancouver called LG Cashmere. I got my cardigan for $240 and my vneck for $220. They are a nice medium weight and fit fairly slim. I've been really happy with them so far.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a cool nylon/teflon/rayon jacket from BR today. It was $30 discounted from $100. It is thin so could probably be worn starting around September or so in the evening and is quite fitted. Probably don't want to wear much more than a T-shirt/polo/thin sweater under it, but you don't need much more than that here in SoCal except in extreme occasions or unless you're going skiing or something.

I agree with the boot suggestions. I picked up a pair of dark brown Prada chelsea boots a few days ago, and a pair of black distressed lambskin Varvatos boots as well. I have another pretty cool pair of Prada boots, kinda similar to America's cup but with some brown suede, along with grey nylon and a velcro strap, they're quite funky and look really good with jeans, got them last year from Bluefly.

I might wear cotton blazers more in the fall as well, I have a couple pretty cool ones in grey and charcoal. The grey one is more fitted and would be more of a going out piece, from Theory, and the charcoal one is more of an outerwear piece, three button with gunmetal colored metal buttons from Varvatos.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
BR has some decent ones on sale at the moment. I got a nice blue/black striped sweater there last week for $20 that was pretty fitted and looked nice. It was like 75% cotton 20% silk 5% cashmere, and felt really soft.

My problem with BR is that I'm in between their small and medium in the chest, but if I size down to a small for the slim fit, the shoulders hit wrong and the sleeves are too short. It aggravates me to no end. The problem seems to be localized to their sweaters.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya

Minya I've bought Jil Sander sweaters off of eBay that fit the bill. Usually plain, and usually sub 90 USD.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I bought a cool nylon/teflon/rayon jacket from BR today. It was $30 discounted from $100. It is thin so could probably be worn starting around September or so in the evening and is quite fitted. Probably don't want to wear much more than a T-shirt/polo/thin sweater under it, but you don't need much more than that here in SoCal except in extreme occasions or unless you're going skiing or something.

I agree with the boot suggestions. I picked up a pair of dark brown Prada chelsea boots a few days ago, and a pair of black distressed lambskin Varvatos boots as well. I have another pretty cool pair of Prada boots, kinda similar to America's cup but with some brown suede, along with grey nylon and a velcro strap, they're quite funky and look really good with jeans, got them last year from Bluefly.

I might wear cotton blazers more in the fall as well, I have a couple pretty cool ones in grey and charcoal. The grey one is more fitted and would be more of a going out piece, from Theory, and the charcoal one is more of an outerwear piece, three button with gunmetal colored metal buttons from Varvatos.

Are theory cotto blazers cut just like their wool counterparts, I have a theory jacket that fits really well and might look for a cotton one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads