• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fall 2014 Flannels and Tweeds.

woolymammoth

Reaction score
I like the herringbone Sherry Tweed. Third picture is the Sherry Tweed against the charcoaliest of charcoal-grey flannel pants.

woolymammoth

Reaction score
Loro Piana 10.5oz wool/cashmere flannel. I do not know if this fabric has a name; the fabric has what seems to be white thread running through the fabric, very nice for a pair of trousers I think.

giaour

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can anyone weigh in on the merits of different weights of flannels? I'm looking at getting a MTM Samuelsohn/JP Tilford flannel suit, but almost all of the flannels they have (including those Dormeuil ice fabrics) are in the 11oz range. My understanding was that a significantly heavier flannel, like the 13/14+oz flannels made by Fox, is more desirable for durability, drape, and warmth (I am in Canada, after all, but naturally most of my time is spent indoors in the winter, so maybe warmth isn't that important).

Would it be a bad decision to get a suit made of 11oz flannel?

woolymammoth

Reaction score
Dormeuil ICE 12 ounce flannel...these 12oz flannels are wonderful for winter with navy cashmere blazers.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Dormeuil ICE flannel, but from personal experience, I would strongly suggest that people stay away from flannels lighter than 14oz.

woolymammoth

Reaction score

I'm not familiar with the Dormeuil ICE flannel, but from personal experience, I would strongly suggest that people stay away from flannels lighter than 14oz.

May I ask why? All my flannel pants (Ariston, Dormeuil, Holland & Sherry) are 11 ounce - 12 ounce and they seem to wear wonderfully, feel substantial (to me) and I am able to wear them from late-September to early-April. I do not own any 14+ ounce flannel pants so I do not know what I am missing :) Pictured 12 ounce ICE, a little lighter than medium grey flannel.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads