Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Falke Socks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by antirabbit, Jan 11, 2008.

1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Has anyone tried Falke socks before?

I got two pair of 100% cashmere over the calf from the wife for Christmas, and I have to say they are bad ass.

They have them on STP for pretty good prices.

2. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Wearing a pair of sea island (likely from STP) right now.
    They are indeed very nice.

3. chang

chang Well-Known Member

I have about 4 pairs of these socks and absolutely love them, especially the OTC. I have some regular mid calf length ones in maroon that I also like, but I wear sock garters with them. I think the quality of these is really high.

4. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

How do you feel compared to some of the other brands highly regarded here?

5. flatfront

flatfront Senior member

I wear the Sea Island cotton for work every day and like them alot. Prefer them to Pantherella purley on longevity and the fact they seem to stay up better.

6. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

Prefer them to Pantherella purley on longevity and the fact they seem to stay up better.

Ditto.

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

The one pair of Falke socks I owned never stayed up, but I haven't tried them since then.

8. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Have lots of Falke.
    Especialy the numer series 7, 8, 9 & 10 are exelent.
    Also hve quite a few french Dore Dore that i like a lott.

9. Alphadave

Alphadave Senior member

I've been looking for falke socks for a while now. Thanks for the STP tip. 100% cotton isn't very common in stores. I guess the lack of stretchy material probably doesn't help them stay up though.

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

100% cotton isn't very common in stores. I guess the lack of stretchy material probably doesn't help them stay up though.

No, no it does not.

11. hermes

hermes Senior member

i've been wearing falke socks for years as well
    like them equally as pantherella socks

i have had wear issues with pantherella socks in the past with heels wearing thin or ripping after short wear times and have not encountered this with falke

12. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

They used to make individualized right and left socks. Anyone ever tried those?

13. rockyfella

rockyfella Well-Known Member

I have these, it sure is a conversation piece. They also make these "optimized" for various sports like hiking, tennis, etc. Quite comfy, I love them.

14. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

They stil make them. A winter series, primary wool and a summer series in cotton. They are nice, but no match for the numbers series in terms of material quality. Its like comparing a Merc with a Bentley [​IMG] They ar both nice, at their level ...

15. c3cubed

c3cubed Senior member

i've been wearing falke socks for years as well
    like them equally as pantherella socks

i have had wear issues with pantherella socks in the past with heels wearing thin or ripping after short wear times and have not encountered this with falke

That is my main issue with Pantherella also - one gets about a dozen wearings out of them and they're ready for the "goodwill" box. The problem is, the rest of the sock is still perfectly brand-new looking. More an issue if one walks a few blocks in the city or is travelling from one end of the airport to another, city to city.
    For the finest yarns, they're among the best however and are virtually all I wear.

I wonder if the mill in Leicester is aware of this? All they need to do is up the thread count or adjust the yarn tension while knitting - in the areas that wear out quickly.
    The silk socks last maybe 5 wearings if that - at $100 bucks a pop this is a nuisance also, especially during a formal event.

Dore/Dore manufactures a well respected French brand similar to Pantherella - but full availability is still mainly in Paris and other French cities. They went into hiatus a few years back during a corporate takeover but are now slowly repositioning, as well as doing private label for venerable houses like Prada, Gucci, Vuitton and yes, Hermes.

The Falke website seems to have a limited range of styles/colours, and a number of the more classic selections seem to be going into "discontinued "status.