***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mrchariybrown, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Mclura

Mclura Member

Custom clicking is not only going to cost more but take way more time. I'm guessing FG doesn't operate with a huge amount of leather stock, and keeping two standards of clicking would just be super confusing and turn into two tiers of leather quality rather than "guaranteed good leather" and "roll the dice with veins". Since the easiest way to have that pricing model is to just separate out the leather from the start. You'll end up with "pay for good leather" and "pay less for worse leather". In that case, why not just up the standard clicking and raise prices? Because that's not what FG wants to do. They competitive edge is the MTM option at such a low cost and their patterns.

Yeah the veins look awful and that should be something that's talked about as a quality issue, but it's not something that really unexpected IMO. $800 for a MTM, MTO full leather jacket, something has to give. Personally, I think the veininess is one of the best ways to do it. It's not consistent like shipping out every jacket with shit hardware or something, not all are duds, and some less so than others. Plus, buying calf, goat, or suede makes it a non-issue.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Sorry you're unhappy with one aspect of the jacket. If you find a difference in wool between your varsity and your TOJ varsity, that's because the TOJ varsity you have is an older version and not the last iteration. The wool on our varsity has had zero change between the last TOJ iteration.
    Correct! We'll have a beefed up version coming up soon.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

3. shinobi13

shinobi13 Member

hi everyone,
    just wanted to clarify what's going on behind the scenes -
    we are in fact dealing with the same vendors as we have in the past. we've gone through several iterations of each jacket in previous runs depending on the thickness and quality of leather available to us during different seasons. by no means have we compromised the quality - we have only taken each opportunity to change and upgrade our materials as necessary.
    as far as our current clientele is concerned, all current Falcon Garments jackets will follow the same standards during sourcing and production.

D

4. REDSTAR

REDSTAR Member

I ordered my TOJ0 in April of 2013 and got it in September. Didn't realize things changed during production though.

It's reassuring that you'll be offering a heavier weight version soon though. Thanks for the info.

5. lordofthefart

lordofthefart Active Member

will the new version of the jacket come with striped ribbing detail?

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

So, I have not had time to do proper pics (of fit or leather quality), but as a very quick sample of the grain I like:

[​IMG]

I´ll post better pictures later.

7. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

veinzzzzz

[​IMG]

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That is just the natural grain of unglazed lambskin, and it looks pretty well matched.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Honestly, I don't even bother looking at lamb leather . Lamb is super soft, and pliable, and it can shred pretty easily. With something like steer or heavy horse, I've hardly ever seen any jackets go in for any repairs from tears in the leather itself. Goat is very pliable, and it can be prone to the same "bagging": that pliable leathers are prone to - it's part of the look, but not everyone likes it - but it is quite durable, and also has a cool grain. Calf is reasonably durable and most of it is top grain and corrected to some degree, so you end up with a more uniform surface. suede, especially top grain suede, can be quite durable, and the finish of obviously even.

10. dvskei

dvskei Senior member

11. FlyingGiraffes

FlyingGiraffes Member

Looks lovely. Can't wait to get mine!

12. Mclura

Mclura Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paid September 30 and the jacket arrived on Oct 27. MTM A-2 bomber with full placket and shoulder gussets in black goat. My only gripe is the small hand warmer pockets. I wish they were closer to the center and a bit bigger.

13. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

On this topic, I think no one has complained yet about "veins" in coloured lamb. My dark wine jacket has no trace of them. Why is that? Coincidence? Coloured lambskin is glazed? Corrected grain?

I used to think like that. No lamb leather, only super thick stuff (same for denim and things like that). I've changed my mind. I still have heavier stuff for the fun of breaking it in, but when I want to look good it's not the stuff I reach for.

14. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

@LA Guy Just curious: do you wear your jackets really hard, or something? I'm relatively new to leather jackets (~5 years) so you may have been around them a lot longer, but it's just that I can't imagine "shredding" any of mine due to normal wear. That said, they (being all lamb) are likely more delicate than calf/horse/goat, but as someone else said--I don't think they can be beat for elegance.

15. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Short of falling off while riding or getting stabbed, lambskin will not shred with normal wear.

Even falling off a motorcycle, it'd have to be at pretty decent speed and rough terrain for this lamb to "shred"