• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faking a longer torso to offset long legs

jhdas

Reaction score
I have long legs. Almost absurdly long. I'm 6' tall, but my legs are 43" long (hip to ground), and my natural waist is a good two inches above that. My torso is only 18" long or so. This means that when I try to wear pants that fit me where they "should", I'm left looking like a midget on stilts (not to mention, finding pants that are 32-33 x 36-37 is a pain **********).

When I'm in casual settings I can usually get away with simply wearing low-cut jeans and t-shirts or untucked dress shirts, thus creating the appearance of a more balanced torso. But I really like suits, and plan to own quite a few. Wearing dress pants below the hips just seems like a bad idea, but if I do anything else I look absurd.

One crazy idea I've had is, maybe I could wear vests to fake a longer torso. What do you guys think? Any other short-torso, long-leg guys out there with some tips?

Edit: Oh, maybe I should've mentioned: I'm a 40-42 L, and the sleeves are always too short for me (I need a 28 inch sleeve or so).

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Puddle-glum?

$unny

Reaction score
i'm the opposite. 40L jacket, but 40R looks more proportional.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm similar although when it comes to suits I often have 40-42Rs instead of Ls (though the Rs are on the longer side of R and I get comments on here that they are too short). The L just feels too long since I am tall but it drapes really low proportionately.

The MC Denim 101 thread got me to buy a pair of jeans with a taller rise and I have been wearing them (but with the waist where I wear my usual lower rise jeans) and they seem to counteract the appearance of my short torso.

jhdas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I'm similar although when it comes to suits I often have 40-42Rs instead of Ls (though the Rs are on the longer side of R and I get comments on here that they are too short). The L just feels too long since I am tall but it drapes really low proportionately.

The MC Denim 101 thread got me to buy a pair of jeans with a taller rise and I have been wearing them (but with the waist where I wear my usual lower rise jeans) and they seem to counteract the appearance of my short torso.

Wouldn't a taller rise give you an even shorter-looking torso?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem - shortish legs and longish torso. So I always have braces trousers cut with a very high rise and have the waistcoat cut as short as possible to make my legs look longer.

I would say that you could easily do the opposite and have the waistcoat cut long along with a long skirted coat with a low fashion waist. With all the tinkering to the coat, waistcoat and trousers, to get it all to coordinate properly you will probably have to go bespoke. Double breasted waistcoats are particularly widening, and you should avoid having a point on it, and instead have the bottom cut horizontally straight across.

Max Inseam

Reaction score
I think Sator has it right. A longer jacket should help to rebalance your apparent midpoint, making your legs look shorter and your torso longer. I would suggest avoiding the thom browne look.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm reserving my advice until I see mafoofan post in this thread.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jeezus, your legs are as high as my shoulders.

Have you considered trying bespoke? The waist of the jacket could stay near your natural waist but the tailor could give you a longer skirt.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm reserving my advice until I see mafoofan post in this thread.

Alright then, let's hear it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhdas
I have long legs. Almost absurdly long. I'm 6' tall, but my legs are 43" long (hip to ground), and my natural waist is a good two inches above that.

I'm 5'10", but like you I have long legs...41" in my case from hip to heel.

Celebrate this because longer legs gives you a naturally slimmer profile, and allows you to wear lower rise trousers or jeans casually without looking like a chimp.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Jeezus, your legs are as high as my shoulders.

Have you considered trying bespoke? The waist of the jacket could stay near your natural waist but the tailor could give you a longer skirt.

Alright then, let's hear it.

My bespoke jackets are, indeed, slightly longer, but are still waisted to my natural waist. I knew that I should wait until you weighed and, and now all are amply rewarded.

- B

jhdas

Reaction score
I guess it's time to break out the reserve funds, take the plunge, and go bespoke. I mean, it makes the most sense, because the clothes will last me longer and fit me better than anything else, but I'm still trying to get used to the idea of paying that much on anything (my parents are comfortably middle class but raised me with a bit of a siege mentality when it comes to money).

At least I can guarantee I'll be the best-dressed person at my school
bigstar[1].gif

On a related note, anyone know a good tailor in Gainesville or Sarasota?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads