• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake Zegna suit sold for more than $400

mussel

Reaction score
Check out this fake Zegna suit sold for $409. The buyer got what he deserved. I have no sympathy to anyone who don't do their homework.

tbs

Reaction score
For the edification of the novices on this board, how would one tell that this was a fake?

alchimiste

Reaction score
For the edification of the novices on this board, how would one tell that this was a fake?
Canonical 15 % polyester.

Ed355

Reaction score
Isn't it suspicious that the user id is kept private? I think the seller sold to himself (using another user name) to create a false market. I suspect this fake buyer will then give the seller glowing feedback.

Lydia

Reaction score
It's location is Shanghai. You don't have to know about suits. These people aren't doing all that much to hide that it's fake.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
It's location is Shanghai.
i dont know whether its real or fake, it'd probly fool me i guess, but i dont really read too much in to a shanghai location anymore. the way that the shanghainese are getting rich, if anything that makes it more likely to be real. now if it was from vietnam...then thats a different story (says the guy relaxing in his fake adidas sweats) heard a lot of stories about the designer shops in shanghai outselling their parisian sister stores as the new rich go om spending sprees. and if you want to see it in action, head to the LV section at galleries la fayette in paris and see if you can spot any customer in there who isnt speaking mandarin PS - why would a fake advertise that it has polyester in it? if i was making fakes id put 100% virgin merino stuff on the tag....

alchimiste

Reaction score
Are counterfeit and clueless mutually exclusive?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate everything about this suit. It tries to be so flashy without any elegancy. Zegna does not make suits like this.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it suspicious that the user id is kept private?  I think the seller sold to himself (using another user name) to create a false market.  I suspect this fake buyer will then give the seller glowing feedback.
I doubt it. Look at the bid history, the high bidder put in another last second bid as an anti-snipe measure. The buyer wanted this fake Zegna suit really really baaadd.

And I am curious that the seller has 100% +ve feedback.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"how would one tell that this was a fake?"

One giveaway is the wrong typeface they used for the EZ logo.

nsoltz1

Reaction score
Everything about that suit says "counterfeit"-- from wool/poly blend to style to the label. Another clever Zegna counterfeit seller is from Germany... and suits ship directly from Italy. Knowing from feedback that they refund instantly when you catch them, I bought one and had it checked out. Totally bogus. The EZ label inside jacket looked good (not the newer label with the Z) but the inside pocket label was clearly a photocopy and typed at the bottom was "Ermenengildo Zegna Boutique". Seller of course denied it was fake but refunded credit card even before I returned it. Amazingly, the seller's feedback is glowing and I actually wrote to some buyers who believed that they got a genuine new Zegna for around $400. Seller claims these are Su Misura tailor's rejects.

Ned Soltz

gardel

Reaction score
I think part of the reason that buyer ID's are private in these questionable auctions is so that other people cannot send e-mail to warn the buyer.

rootless

Reaction score
I do have some sympathy for the buyer. Don't people always complain that people don't even try these days? I loathe cheap clothing, but I can't afford nice stuff at retail prices (well, I could- I could get bespoke Kiton if my life depended on it, but I'd be living on rice and beans for a while after that). This is a guy who tried.

First moral- don't buy from the East if you want to avoid counterfeits. I am generally unwilling to buy outside of the US for brands worth counterfeiting. (No offense to East Asians- I minored in Chinese- just that there is a huge counterfeit market there, and no enforcement- if anything counterfeiting is encouraged).

Second Moral- have some idea of how what you're buying should look like. Be suspicious.

Lydia

Reaction score
Just to clarify:

I didn't mean to deny that there are plenty of people now in Shanghai who, quite proudly, wear the real thing. However, I have seen MANY fake zegna suits like that one. I would say that they are the most commonly faked suit here so far. The real Zegna has done a good job here and its outlets are in most of the main cities. I wish they would fake something a bit sportier like a dior homme suit. In suits, watch out for suspicious looking Zegna, Ferre, Armani, Burberry and Prada. Haven't seen others yet, but I expect to. Of course, you could get a fake Zegna suit here for well under 400 yuan.

But it is strange that they would admit 15% polyester.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads