Fake Polo Lot?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

2. dusty

dusty Senior member

I assume you mean vertical placement in relation to the placket. Yeah, I'd be wary; all mine are the same.

3. Connemara

I assume you mean vertical placement in relation to the placket. Yeah, I'd be wary; all mine are the same.

Yep, that's what I was referring to. Thanks for the tip...I looked at mine, and they seemed the same.

I guess feedback can lie.[​IMG]

4. ranchsooner

ranchsooner Senior member

Am I the only one slightly unnerved by the placement of the pony logo on these shirts? They're all over the place. Is that normal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Perhaps that is why they are being sold on ebay. Irregular lots seem to show up quite a bit. Or they just could be fake.

5. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

Even if they are real, do you really want to wear those silly ponies around ? I have noticed one rule of thumb for most RL merchandise, if it has a logo it is crap. All of the good stuff I have seen from them , material wise have 0 logos.

Just my 2 cents.

6. Connemara

Even if they are real, do you really want to wear those silly ponies around ? I have noticed one rule of thumb for most RL merchandise, if it has a logo it is crap. All of the good stuff I have seen from them , material wise have 0 logos.

Just my 2 cents.

Polo and Lacoste are the only two logos I will wear, mainly because they represent classic clothing enterprises.

I have a lot of Polo merchandise without logos (especially dress shirts), so I can agree with your point there.

7. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

some of the other lots look to have slightly more consistent logo placing (just slightly, though).

8. chrisc

chrisc Well-Known Member

I try to buy RL polos on eBay most of the time. Fakes are getting better at copying, but there are still a few things you can look for.

One fool-proof way you can spot a fake is the collar band on the inside of the shirt.

[​IMG]

As you can see with this shirt, the band that is running along the collar is made from the same material as the mesh shirt. This indicates that it is a fake, as all real RL polos have a different material for the band. I would show you an example of a real one, but unfortunately, all close-up pictures of RL polos on eBay were fakes. Just check out the shirts you bought in Macy's or in another department store, you'll see that the band is made of a softer cotton and has horizontal ribbing running along it.

I have yet to see a fake that has this, probably due to slightly higher costs and most importantly, customers just don't realize it.

If you're considering a big purchase of RL polos, I recommend you ask for a close-up picture of the collar tag (so you can see the banding.) There are a few sellers that sell authentic polos, you just have to investigate, ask for better pictures and hopefully find a legitimate seller. I originally went for the dirt-cheap items and paid the price. Prepare to pay slighter higher prices than the other polos on eBay, but be happy that they're real!

Hope this helps!

-Chris

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

that tag is a dead giveaway. the counterfeit market is a very strong industry. you should realize factories- and i mean whole factories, are built to make these products. it is an industry in itself where the competition is also tough and they outdo each other. i have seen lacostes, polos, burberrys... that could easily be passed off as authentic.

bottom line: you really get what you pay for....

... and are these logo'd polos really worth it?

10. seen

seen Senior member