• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe the Kensington is always made in England, as it's part of their flagship Heritage line. I could be wrong, however.

barryzhang27

Reaction score
I believe the Kensington is always made in England, as it's part of their flagship Heritage line. I could be wrong, however.
So if it’s not made in England, it’s not from their heritage line? I was under the assumption that some Kensingtons were made in Turkey for a while in the mid 2000s

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So if it’s not made in England, it’s not from their heritage line? I was under the assumption that some Kensingtons were made in Turkey for a while in the mid 2000s

You may be right. I don't pay that close attention to Burberry. But my understanding is that they have a flagship line called Heritage, and some of the iconic trench models are under that line. The Heritage collection is used to give the rest of the line a halo effect, so it's made in England. I don't know if they've used the Westminster and Kensington cuts for the non-Heritage though.

barryzhang27

Reaction score
You may be right. I don't pay that close attention to Burberry. But my understanding is that they have a flagship line called Heritage, and some of the iconic trench models are under that line. The Heritage collection is used to give the rest of the line a halo effect, so it's made in England. I don't know if they've used the Westminster and Kensington cuts for the non-Heritage though.
I see. The cut (when compared to the current Kensington’s on Burberry’s website) appears to be identical apart from the raglan sleeve. I think it’s the material composition which confuses me the most. I thought heritage line trench coats were always 100% cotton

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see. The cut (when compared to the current Kensington’s on Burberry’s website) appears to be identical apart from the raglan sleeve. I think it’s the material composition which confuses me the most. I thought heritage line trench coats were always 100% cotton

My impression is that there's so much counterfeit Burberry on the market, if you didn't buy from the Burberry shop, you don't know for sure.

A few years ago, I interviewed the head of the authentication department at a prominent second-hand luxury business. They buy high-end goods from people and resell them to others. I asked how does one authenticate certain things.

The person said that it's very easy to spot bad fakes but there are lots and lots of good fakes out there nowadays. And the good fakes are so good, it's nearly impossible to tell. This is why they ask for secondary and tertiary evidence, such as original store tags and receipts. But of course, even those can be counterfeited.

If you look at the watch market, there are fake Rolexes nowadays that are very, very hard to spot. If a mechanical watch can be replicated to such a high degree, what chance does a garment have?

Burberry is a massive line with many SKUs. They've also watered down their brand. Lots of outlet stuff floating around. Only the Heritage line remains relatively intact. Feels like every two weeks, someone comes to this board and asks "is this Burberry real?" I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer. Personally think you should just wear it if you like it. If it turns out to be fake, enjoy as a piece of folk art.

barryzhang27

Reaction score
My impression is that there's so much counterfeit Burberry on the market, if you didn't buy from the Burberry shop, you don't know for sure.

A few years ago, I interviewed the head of the authentication department at a prominent second-hand luxury business. They buy high-end goods from people and resell them to others. I asked how does one authenticate certain things.

The person said that it's very easy to spot bad fakes but there are lots and lots of good fakes out there nowadays. And the good fakes are so good, it's nearly impossible to tell. This is why they ask for secondary and tertiary evidence, such as original store tags and receipts. But of course, even those can be counterfeited.

If you look at the watch market, there are fake Rolexes nowadays that are very, very hard to spot. If a mechanical watch can be replicated to such a high degree, what chance does a garment have?

Burberry is a massive line with many SKUs. They've also watered down their brand. Lots of outlet stuff floating around. Only the Heritage line remains relatively intact. Feels like every two weeks, someone comes to this board and asks "is this Burberry real?" I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer. Personally think you should just wear it if you like it. If it turns out to be fake, enjoy as a piece of folk art.
Yes I've seen quite a few of those posts. I think I'll try to contact Grailed and see what they have to say about this. My only possible reason for returning it is that I made my offer under the impression that it's an authentic Heritage line model. If I can't verify that it is, then I can't in good conscience resell it at a later time claiming that it's a Heritage model (I don't think I'm the type to hang onto a single piece of clothing for decades). Also, if indeed it is not from the Heritage line, then I probably wouldn't have offered as high a price (I paid $400)

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“The Real Real” got in some trouble a couple of years ago over its authentication process. Allegedly, In an effort to put merchandise into their catalogue of available items, the authentication process was rushed and not always handled by experts:

However, as long as their are brand whores out there who find personal validation in an otherwise banal existence there will be these types of thrift shops to service them.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
D86F6041-2F6F-47FD-9AB3-CCC4C9E49F1C.jpeg

403B132B-777E-4836-B6B1-716319F6029F.jpeg

Yo. I got this on eBay, nomsayin? Does it look authentic to you? Seems like a quality piece. My other luxury ties I bought on therealreal. I’m scared to buy stuff on eBay out of fear they’re fake. Like I once saw a pair of Versace underwear with a tag that said “made in China.” Everyone knows Jonny’s stuff is made in Italy.
is this tie correct though?

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1579490
View attachment 1579491
Yo. I got this on eBay, nomsayin? Does it look authentic to you? Seems like a quality piece. My other luxury ties I bought on therealreal. I’m scared to buy stuff on eBay out of fear they’re fake. Like I once saw a pair of Versace underwear with a tag that said “made in China.” Everyone knows Jonny’s stuff is made in Italy.
is this tie correct though?

Sorry, that's fake. The lining is a dead giveaway.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
Sorry, that's fake. The lining is a dead giveaway.
I feel violated. Am I safe to assume any tie I buy on TheRealReal is legit. I bought an Armani and a couple of Versace ties there. I can post pics if needed.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel violated. Am I safe to assume any tie I buy on TheRealReal is legit. I bought an Armani and a couple of Versace ties there. I can post pics if needed.

see my post above regarding the RealReal. Use your own judgement.

I start with the basic premise that unless it’s purchased new from the boutique or an authorized vendor (department store, etc) it’s a fake. That is my Ho.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always found fakes easy to spot if you have any knowledge of the genuine item, but they do seem to be getting better. Difficult if you aren’t buying in person though, as the differences generally show themselves in person.

That Armani tie wouldn’t fool many people though, even from 6 feet away.

Rasputin13

Reaction score
I’ve always found fakes easy to spot if you have any knowledge of the genuine item, but they do seem to be getting better. Difficult if you aren’t buying in person though, as the differences generally show themselves in person.

That Armani tie wouldn’t fool many people though, even from 6 feet away.
What about items purchased on therealreal? They say they authenticate everything.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about items purchased on therealreal? They say they authenticate everything.
I doubt there is anyone here who has a lot of inside knowledge on how well they authenticate items. But don't you think that just maybe they have a very strong vested interest in making that claim? And ask yourself how much it would cost them to pay true "experts" to authenticate every item they sell. A word of caution here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads