• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

Boots-N-Shoes

Reaction score
Hello

After looking at the jigsaw stitching, dull, almost faded color, oxidized buttons, GG button engraving that appears to have been done by Helen Keller using a dull Exacto, and the lack of depth in the GG engraving, there is absolutely no doubt that your shirt is a fake.

Real Gucci shirts have precise stitching, vibrant colors, and machine milled buttons, leaving no doubt in the mind of the buyer that spending 4K on a Gucci shirt was the right thing to do.

Unfortunately, it has become rather difficult to identify whether an item is fake or authentic by simply looking for tells on the store and shirt tags because they know that is what authenticators look at first. They now copy the store tags from an authentic item so the numbers match. They are also very careful to center the font and to use the same format so as not to leave the tells authenticators have become accustomed to looking for. You almost have to have an authentic and fake shirt side by side to compare the two unless the craftsmanship is as poor as this one is.

I hope this helps, all the best to you.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Boots-N-Shoes

Reaction score
My apologies, I wasn't using my head when I posted those pics, I was thinking I was displaying them as though I wanted you to see how nice looking the shoe is, rather than authenticating them.

I am posting the proper pics now.

Boots-N-Shoes

Reaction score
Upon taking more pics and seeing the Gancici Bit up close I'm done second-guessing myself, there is no doubt these are fake Ferragamo Loafers.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello

Can anyone tell me if these Ferragamo Venetian loafers are real or fake? I have seen similar loafers by Jimmy Choo but have never really known Ferragamo to make glittered men's bit loafers, any thoughts? I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to view my post.
View attachment 1459345 View attachment 1459346 View attachment 1459347 View attachment 1459437 View attachment 1459438 View attachment 1459439 View attachment 1459440 View attachment 1459441 View attachment 1459442
Fake

superpotato

Reaction score
Hi, can someone help me legit check this Rick Owens leather bomber jacket. It seems legit to me but the designer and season tag is stitched incorrectly. Much appreciated.

IMG_7976.jpg

IMG_7975.jpg

IMG_7969.jpg

IMG_7974.jpg

IMG_7972.jpg

IMG_7970.jpg

CDStyle

Reaction score
Is this a real Valentino tie?

(Also, how do you know if it's actually grenadine vs the faux grenadine?)

Pulse

Reaction score
I'm a little bit confused here. Judging by the font it should be RLPL, but the tag is blue. Am I missing something?

RLPL.PNG

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loro Piana Storm System label on the inside of a puffer jacket. Any idea of authenticity?

Loro Piana SS fabric is used in many garments sold by various retailers under various labels. It’s not necessarily a Loro Piana jacket. More likely a jacket made with LP fabric.
The label looks authentic. But it’s not a Loro Piana jacket.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a real Valentino tie?

(Also, how do you know if it's actually grenadine vs the faux grenadine?)

Valentino is real. It just looks like a textured weave from what I can see. Grenadine will be a slightly more open weave (not to be confused with a crunchy knit) with very specific weave patterns. Look at google images of grenadine ‘Garza grossa’ and ‘garza fina’. Zoom in and you’ll see what I mean.

I'm a little bit confused here. Judging by the font it should be RLPL, but the tag is blue. Am I missing something?

View attachment 1462214

If I remember correctly, that label is from a transition period before RLPL was a thing. I’m not 100% on this but I believe they were made by Corneliani as opposed to St. Andrews/Cantarelli/Caruso (RLPL makers). Corneliani also makes for the standard PRL Italy line but I’ve heard that the blue script label was made to a higher standard but that could be completely made up.

Again, I haven’t had any coffee yet and I might be completely misremembering literally everything I just typed but I’m pretty sure that’s the case.

Pulse

Reaction score
Valentino is real. It just looks like a textured weave from what I can see. Grenadine will be a slightly more open weave (not to be confused with a crunchy knit) with very specific weave patterns. Look at google images of grenadine ‘Garza grossa’ and ‘garza fina’. Zoom in and you’ll see what I mean.

If I remember correctly, that label is from a transition period before RLPL was a thing. I’m not 100% on this but I believe they were made by Corneliani as opposed to St. Andrews/Cantarelli/Caruso (RLPL makers). Corneliani also makes for the standard PRL Italy line but I’ve heard that the blue script label was made to a higher standard but that could be completely made up.

Again, I haven’t had any coffee yet and I might be completely misremembering literally everything I just typed but I’m pretty sure that’s the case.
Thank you for sharing this! So quality wise it is perhaps not as high standard as the regular RLPL but still very good.
I'm gonna give it a try then :)

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this! So quality wise it is perhaps not as high standard as the regular RLPL but still very good.
I'm gonna give it a try then :)

Yeah it still should be an excellent piece. Just not RLPL nice.

koolaidpapi_

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of Issey Miyake Homme trousers and became very concerned if these were authentic or not. I personally feel that the tag with the pant style looks different from other pairs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 13C7CAE1-3D13-48EB-A51A-20FE2DD8569E.jpeg
    13C7CAE1-3D13-48EB-A51A-20FE2DD8569E.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 12
  • F5C5B7A3-FCE0-4D14-92DB-7B59012FE450.jpeg
    F5C5B7A3-FCE0-4D14-92DB-7B59012FE450.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 6ABBD5D3-1820-4D69-9810-6F04E3BAF181.jpeg
    6ABBD5D3-1820-4D69-9810-6F04E3BAF181.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 28

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads