• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got the Brunello Cucinelli sweater that I posted on here, but I strongly believe that it is a fake. The tags are badly sewn on and the material doesn't feel like high quality cashmere. If I didn't know anything about the sweater, I would have guessed it was made of wool, or merino at best.
Thoughts?
It looks like cashmere from the pictures, the neck tag looks nicely sewn on, Cucinelli cashmere didn’t always say cashmere on the neck tag, interior contents tags won’t really be extremely nicely sewn on, after a few years of laundering cashmere it really starts to lose the softness it once had. I can’t say 100% either way but I’d be inclined to say it’s legit but just old and worn

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was spelled correctly. I think the seller just sewed the real tags onto a random sweater lmao. Well, guess I'm off to get a refund.

it looks like something from Ann Taylor.

go to a BC boutique and check out the sweaters. They are far better made and visually interesting.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with kbadgley. It’s real just older. Cashmere doesn’t feel like brand new forever.

LiquidLake

Reaction score
I guess that it could be old, but the seller specified that it was worn only once. Think I'll get a refund anyway, even if it was authentic, the seller was being purposely misleading about the condition. The sweater is also unraveling at the corner. Here's a picture of the neck tag. Thank you for all your help.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 58

haloitsme

Reaction score
I guess that it could be old, but the seller specified that it was worn only once. Think I'll get a refund anyway, even if it was authentic, the seller was being purposely misleading about the condition. The sweater is also unraveling at the corner. Here's a picture of the neck tag. Thank you for all your help.
As said above, could be real. Sometimes tags are sewn on very badly also with Kiton etc.
chashmere loos also it’s softness I’d washed wrongly and or stored.
I would depend my decision on the price.

Best

Chronos___

Reaction score
Hey, I'm really interested in buying one (maybe two) Burberry Trenchcoats from some guy online. He seems legit, and is collecting luxury brands and has a bigger knowledge on Burberry - but you never know. Also the cause why he is selling seems reasonable (they fit to big for him - he usually wears Medium; the black coat is EU-Size 50 and the grey one is EU-Size 52).
074a2_oWg7zAZBwLtiXzzX2HHqtA6s.jpeg
0688f_6uEw3wkf5e7gRU7A3tUa27bC.jpeg
06c18_zuXi56MQzwpRPctkVbnzJ2Ne.jpeg
06f3b_n2CqbSJPrvAjKKDnviSBJhWV.jpeg

The pictures aren't really meaningful - but I would still be interested to hear your opinions on the coats - if they seem legit or not. The grey one was made in Turkey - both are Burberry London (most "fakes" I've seen only were "Burberrys").

Thanks in advance. (I try to get better pictures but it will take some time).
Btw: I usually wear Large (between 50 and 52) - how do these Trenchcoats fits? Would you size up or down?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They both look legit to me. As for your other questions, I’ll leave those for someone with more fit experience.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm really interested in buying one (maybe two) Burberry Trenchcoats from some guy online. He seems legit, and is collecting luxury brands and has a bigger knowledge on Burberry - but you never know. Also the cause why he is selling seems reasonable (they fit to big for him - he usually wears Medium; the black coat is EU-Size 50 and the grey one is EU-Size 52).
View attachment 1448684 View attachment 1448685 View attachment 1448686 View attachment 1448687

The pictures aren't really meaningful - but I would still be interested to hear your opinions on the coats - if they seem legit or not. The grey one was made in Turkey - both are Burberry London (most "fakes" I've seen only were "Burberrys").

Thanks in advance. (I try to get better pictures but it will take some time).
Btw: I usually wear Large (between 50 and 52) - how do these Trenchcoats fits? Would you size up or down?

They’re both real. He’s selling them because he’s a flipper though. I guarantee fit has nothing to do with why he’s selling.

As far as sizing for you, they’ll both fit pretty slim but they’re trench coats so they won’t be super tight-fitting or anything. Do you have broad shoulders? If so, you might want to go for the 52. If you have slimmer shoulders, go with the 50.

Leonis

Reaction score
Good evening to every expert. I am looking for a Burberry trench coat to buy and came across that one but I can't guarantee the authenticity myself.
The logo is really odd-looking : The top-right ® location is below the 'Y', not under the 'S' as in most logos, and the "MADE IN ENGLAND" is really wide compared to other logos I found online. I could find other "Burberrys" trench with that same logo though but only two online so far. So are these fake or real ? There is no databank with all the original logos, but that would help a lot.
Thanks for helping, anyone.

Attachments

• burb1.jpg
    burb1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 18
  • burb2.jpg
    burb2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 10
  • burb3.jpg
    burb3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 11
  • burb4.jpg
    burb4.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 51
  • burb5.jpg
    burb5.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 50

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good evening to every expert. I am looking for a Burberry trench coat to buy and came across that one but I can't guarantee the authenticity myself.
The logo is really odd-looking : The top-right ® location is below the 'Y', not under the 'S' as in most logos, and the "MADE IN ENGLAND" is really wide compared to other logos I found online. I could find other "Burberrys" trench with that same logo though but only two online so far. So are these fake or real ? There is no databank with all the original logos, but that would help a lot.
Thanks for helping, anyone.

100% legit

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no databank with all the original logos, but that would help a lot.

Leonis

Reaction score
I have seen that website and it is great. But the label the trench I am talking about isn't there. There are really a lot of variations in fact. Some without "Made in England", some with "Paris New York London" or even "of London". So it is not easy to tell wether it is real or not by looking at the tag.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen that website and it is great. But the label the trench I am talking about isn't there. There are really a lot of variations in fact. Some without "Made in England", some with "Paris New York London" or even "of London". So it is not easy to tell wether it is real or not by looking at the tag.

Yeah, Burberry labels seem to change quite a bit. I wonder if it’s not some strategy on their end to confuse and throw off counterfeiters. Burberry is probably in the top 3 most knocked off global brands.

the coat pictured is legit. Their Made in England trenches are still quite top notch and remain an industry standard.

Chronos___

Reaction score
They’re both real. He’s selling them because he’s a flipper though. I guarantee fit has nothing to do with why he’s selling.

As far as sizing for you, they’ll both fit pretty slim but they’re trench coats so they won’t be super tight-fitting or anything. Do you have broad shoulders? If so, you might want to go for the 52. If you have slimmer shoulders, go with the 50.

big thanks :D

what price woulddo you think is realistic? He wants 400€ for the grey, 600€ for the black (without haggling, these are the prices listed - I think he is willing to down at least a hundred euro). He also told me he would be willing to sell both for 700€.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads