• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

jts287

Reaction score
Balearic1 is great. Usedthreads7 is another suit resource on eBay. Lots of newer Zegnas. Gooseguy84 is a reputable seller with a ton of suits too.

Rockatansky

Reaction score
Nobody has an idea ?

1585935255871.png

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I am afraid, it will be off topic, i will delete this reply if necessary. Do you think that this suit with Zegna cloth is worth two digit price? (90£) As for measurement, it should fit me (I compared it with suit I have. However i am bit concerned as Mr. My Main Man said it's old (outdated). Do you agree?

It's not off topic since we are still asking about the items in question. They all look authentic but the cuts as others have said are very old, 90s to at best early 2000s. I tend to stay away from "cloth by e zegna" as it feels like a hard upsell into making people think it's an ermenegildo zegna suit when it's not. A mainline zegna suit is made to high standards with proper canvassing and stitching.

You might want to look at LuxeSwap as a poster has mentioned earlier. Most models there are more recent and the cuts will reflect that (i.e. not super baggy, or a hard 3 button stance but a 3 roll 2) Otherwise, you can also check out sellers like nymilan on ebay which sells pretty well priced NOS (new old stock) suits that are fairly recent. His prices change from time to time, but you can get a brand new Caruso suit for less than 300 USD. Note Carusos are modern slim fits so they may or may not work for you. But if they fit the prices are excellent.

Fill1998

Reaction score
It's not off topic since we are still asking about the items in question. They all look authentic but the cuts as others have said are very old, 90s to at best early 2000s. I tend to stay away from "cloth by e zegna" as it feels like a hard upsell into making people think it's an ermenegildo zegna suit when it's not. A mainline zegna suit is made to high standards with proper canvassing and stitching.

You might want to look at LuxeSwap as a poster has mentioned earlier. Most models there are more recent and the cuts will reflect that (i.e. not super baggy, or a hard 3 button stance but a 3 roll 2) Otherwise, you can also check out sellers like nymilan on ebay which sells pretty well priced NOS (new old stock) suits that are fairly recent. His prices change from time to time, but you can get a brand new Caruso suit for less than 300 USD. Note Carusos are modern slim fits so they may or may not work for you. But if they fit the prices are excellent.
Thank you for great answer. Do you have some tip how to distinguish old suit from new? It isn't written on label and when someone writes recent xy suit, it may be true but also false. I think, 'experienced eye' will tell immediately but is there any way to know that when I am not so experienced?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ things like the gorge and whether the jacket is vented are a few quick and dirty methods.

Looking at the label, too, as the look of the inside label for most has changed over time. There are plenty of online sources and you can see for yourself.

here is but one:

Fill1998

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200405-122119~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122146~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122229~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122306~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122318~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122324~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122336~3.png
Screenshot_20200405-122402~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122425~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122425~3.png
Screenshot_20200405-122434~3.png
Screenshot_20200405-122521~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122528~2.png
Screenshot_20200405-122536~2.png

Hey, hope you all doing well during these hard times. Once again I am asking about somebody's opinion. Mr. Fogg, thank you for that info, it have been helpfull to distinguish lot's of suits at ebay. However these four I don't know. They are all most likely authentic (somebody can claim them to be 100% sure), however I would like to know how old these are +-. They all are double vented as authors claims and all are supposed to be full canvassed (somebody can say it's true). But the age is what kinda matters for me, I personaly think that third one is the oldest from them but that's just my unexperienced opininion. Also, is there something more to know from these tags? Thank you sincerely whoever will answer.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Hey, hope you all doing well during these hard times. Once again I am asking about somebody's opinion. Mr. Fogg, thank you for that info, it have been helpfull to distinguish lot's of suits at ebay. However these four I don't know. They are all most likely authentic (somebody can claim them to be 100% sure), however I would like to know how old these are +-. They all are double vented as authors claims and all are supposed to be full canvassed (somebody can say it's true). But the age is what kinda matters for me, I personaly think that third one is the oldest from them but that's just my unexperienced opininion. Also, is there something more to know from these tags? Thank you sincerely whoever will answer.
All real, all comparable age. Read through this thread and then you'll know everything you can know without actual hands-on experience.

jts287

Reaction score
Zegna's current label (horizontal black-on-black stripes):
1586092936817.jpg

The solid black backgrounds you provide were right before this, so they're fairly recent. I believe most/all mainline Zegna are fully canvassed (Mexican-made Z Zegna is fused). Milano fit is more modern/sleek and Roma is more traditional/full. I have jackets in both styles, and they're not THAT different- Roma has a little extra padding in the shoulders and is bit roomier in the torso.

Edit: know your measurements, make sure anything you buy is going to fit.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All are genuine. They look like they could be sold by one of our SF members @Brianpore based on the photo styling, but I could be wrong.
My recommendation is that the styling is more important than the actual age of the garment. Some older garments are very classic and some newer garments less so. The third light grey suit is a hard three button jacket, for example, and will look dated to most.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
All are genuine. They look like they could be sold by one of our SF members @Brianpore based on the photo styling, but I could be wrong.
My recommendation is that the styling is more important than the actual age of the garment. Some older garments are very classic and some newer garments less so. The third light grey suit is a hard three button jacket, for example, and will look dated to most.

Yes the 1st 3 suits are ours. All are authentic and all are "recent". From my understanding there is no way to actually tell the exact date of manufacture from the white tags. The only time Ive seen dates listed is on bespoke garments where they put the persons name and date. There is a "new" Zegna tag from around the last year and a half if you are looking for only very new items look for the tag below. We always note them as "current" in our listings instead of "recent" for the older label and as breakaway01 said the age of the garment really does not matter as much as the style. Know what style you are looking for 2 button, 3 buttons, 2 roll 3, dual vents etc.

One last thing to note is that all mainline Zegna suits are full canvassed. If you look at Zegna Z those are not full canvassed or if you find suits made by Zegna for other companies like Jos A Bank has some made by Zegna in Mexico those are full canvassed either.

www.TailoredConsignment.com

leeleelee10101

Reaction score
thombrowne1.jpg

thomebronwe5.jpg

thombrowne2.jpg

thombronwe4.jpg

I found this thom browne cotton sports jacket in my closet. I was doubtful that it was real because it doesn't have the 'thom bronwe." tag as you can see, and it doesn't have the . after thom browne in its size label. Could this be like a vintage line or something?

Attachments

• thombrowne3.jpg
    thombrowne3.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 75

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1367289

View attachment 1367290
View attachment 1367291
View attachment 1367293

I found this thom browne cotton sports jacket in my closet. I was doubtful that it was real because it doesn't have the 'thom bronwe." tag as you can see, and it doesn't have the . after thom browne in its size label. Could this be like a vintage line or something?

Of the details I can see, it appears to be legit. I’m not familiar enough with it, though, do date it.

Barry Lau

Reaction score
Hello All,
I’m looking at a Brunello Cucinelli belt in Ebay. The seller price is almost 70% off retail price. Although it is possible as it is an old design. I’m still wondering if it is authentic or not... but the seller has 100% positive rating... look like a real trusted seller.
here is the Ebay link:

Appreciate for your opinions and thoughts especially from those BC lovers. Thanks !

Eapfep

Reaction score
Hello. Could I get a LC on this Balenciaga hoodie please? Thanks in advance!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I’m looking at a Brunello Cucinelli belt in Ebay. The seller price is almost 70% off retail price. Although it is possible as it is an old design. I’m still wondering if it is authentic or not... but the seller has 100% positive rating... look like a real trusted seller.
here is the Ebay link:

Appreciate for your opinions and thoughts especially from those BC lovers. Thanks !

the evidence is inconclusive. I’m surprised the seller is not more forthcoming with detailed pics. Under the circumstances, I’d pass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads