• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How come the inner sole branding are different for each?

Also, on the Kiton tassel loafer, the size is a simple gilt stamp?

Found another pair of loafers similar to the second one I posted previously. Are these fake or real?

Some changes Kiton made over the time. Besides the insole, top lift of the heel, brand shoe trees have changed as well.

The sole is the easiest way to tell whether fake or not (for leather sole). personally I have not handled any kiton sneakers, so I won’t be able to tell for certain.

The monks you just posted are also real.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Some changes Kiton made over the time. Besides the insole, top lift of the heel, brand shoe trees have changed as well.

The sole is the easiest way to tell whether fake or not (for leather sole). personally I have not handled any kiton sneakers, so I won’t be able to tell for certain.

The monks you just posted are also real.
That's good to know. It's really hard to tell whether the shoes look good quality or not online. None of the shoes made me think they were high quality. The tassel loafer's leather didn't even look that nice, but who knows, maybe in person they are probably stunning.

Danibahnani

Reaction score
Hi, I have a balmain coat, does anyone know if it is real or not?
Pictures below:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like you said you can buy it and return it if it’s fake.

Although seller reviews on eBay are not scripture, they do usually tell you that a seller is more or less knowledgeable of what they are selling, and if you look at a sellers other items that can be an excellent indication of whether items are genuine or not.

As I’ve said on this thread several times, probably the best test of whether a high end jacket is real or fake is to test between the button holes to see if the canvas is free floating or not. A fully canvassed jacket probably not what fakers are making.

The lining detail work looks pretty kiton to me. The tag is certainly consistent with Kiton.

I think the dust bag is excellent provenance for a genuine item.

Whatever this guy is saying about button holes does not make any sense to me.

Can’t say I’ve ever come across a fake kiton.

Kiton has numerous levels of quality and workmanship within their main line. If you’ve ever been to a kiton store and talked to a salesperson they’re happy to explain that to you. Their OTR stuff is excellent but at a few thousand bucks for a suit it’s definitely true I’d expect the handwork and detail level of their five figure bespoke service looks different.

Garment bags are not a good indication if an item is real. Many sellers will buy a genuine garment bag separately for a fake suit.

There's another seller on ebay who buys genuine Hermes sweaters from other online sellers (including a well-known styleforum member). He then takes the authentic tag off, returns the now-damaged sweater for a full refund, and then sews the authentic Hermes tag to a cheap sweater for a big sale. Apparently, ebay hasn't caught on.

MatteoDiDammo

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this cesare attolini tag before? And would it be legit if the rest of the suit checks out like buttonholes etc? I find that this stitching look horrendous on the tag though..

Attachments

• 5CA35EA9-FE75-4408-B6CB-B30A3DC530A5.jpeg
    5CA35EA9-FE75-4408-B6CB-B30A3DC530A5.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

J_Snow

Reaction score
hello, i need to know this brioni blazer is real or fake? It seems this blazer do not have polo sports on the lining and I feel very strange. If you get an answer, please tell me the reasons. Much thanks!
It is real. Excellent handwork and pattern matching all around (even the buttonholes seem handmade). Only a few brands put such effort in their OTR sports jackets. Not worthwhile to fake something like that.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this cesare attolini tag before? And would it be legit if the rest of the suit checks out like buttonholes etc? I find that this stitching look horrendous on the tag though..
Real, I have seen it before and many examples on ebay.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Just wanted to update on an old thread on Kiton shoes that popped up when I was researching about them:

I have underwhelmed by the spate of Kiton's available on Ebay as they seem to pale in comparison to those that I've seen at the NY store, Bergdorf's and in many of our members photo postings. They seem to be on okay lasts and to lack any of that wonderful antiquing. Just my opinion, though.

Andrew, you have every reasons to be underwhelmed as I am. According to A Harris, the current wave of Kiton on eBay are old stock. They were made by outside makers before Kiton set up its in-house operation. It is very easy to tell which is which.

I'll elaborate the fit a little further. I wear American 10.5D, Kiton 9D is tight for me while 9.5D a little loose, if I am between sizes I always err on the loose side as I really hate tight shoes.

Could the Kiton shoes I posted on eBay be from the outside makers batch before Kiton set ip its in-house operations? I was really surprised to hear that they are real as the one's I posted looked pretty darn ordinary. Almost sub USD150 ordinary.

Conclusive

Reaction score
20230429_202637.jpg
20230429_202648.jpg

Can someone help me with these Gucci pants? Not too familiar with the brand and its labels.

Attachments

• 1682826872986.jpeg
    1682826872986.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 52

MatteoDiDammo

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thoughts on this brioni blazer? Legit?

Attachments

• 0E350DE0-9978-4B0C-A0E7-FC57BEED0903.jpeg
    0E350DE0-9978-4B0C-A0E7-FC57BEED0903.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 59433060-12B2-435A-ACC6-CE32D333DCF0.jpeg
    59433060-12B2-435A-ACC6-CE32D333DCF0.jpeg
    714.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 810B2CA5-19B3-46C2-A1B3-0643FBD4702A.jpeg
    810B2CA5-19B3-46C2-A1B3-0643FBD4702A.jpeg
    677.5 KB · Views: 19
  • E03ED724-11EF-4181-8870-F34E505AA57B.jpeg
    E03ED724-11EF-4181-8870-F34E505AA57B.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 06B2DDA3-5ACD-4C63-A63D-5806DD3AC216.jpeg
    06B2DDA3-5ACD-4C63-A63D-5806DD3AC216.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
Good afternoon styleforum community.

I recently purchased a new suit on eBay from a seemingly reputable seller; however, the prices seemed almost "too good to be true". I purchased a navy blue Kiton suit for roughly $1200 - it was listed at $2300 but I made a low bid and it was accepted. I received the suit today and wanted to check with the experts to see if it really was an amazing deal, or whether I've been duped. FWIW, the seller has sold thousands of products on eBay and has a 100% rating, they have a separate website, and are based internationally.

There are a few things that stand out to me (although I'll caveat and say I've never owned an extremely high end suit before, so I'm not certain what to expect). The sleeves have fake surgeon's cuffs; there's a few loose threads here and there; and again I can't really see how a seller could let a ~$5k+ suit (estimated based on prices I've seen online) go for less than 25% of the retail price.

I've uploaded several photos and I would certainly appreciate any insight that people have! I'm able to return it for a full refund (minus shipping) so if it is not authentic I am definitely doing to return it.

Thanks!
IMG_1832.jpeg
IMG_1838.jpeg
IMG_1837.jpeg
IMG_1835.jpeg
IMG_1833.jpeg
IMG_1834.jpeg
IMG_1836.jpeg
IMG_1831.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks real to me. Did you research the factory tag? Luxury suits are pretty cheap now comparatively. Recently got an Attolini NWT for around $700. Before that got a new Oxxford for the same price.

Look up the store they made it for and see if they sell Kiton? Might be NOS as well.

I think the mas market luxury stuff gets pirated more than Kiton. Probably not worth the effort to copy them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads