1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ebmk3891, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ats200

ats200 Active Member

Quick question with quick background info:

I bought a Kiton tie on eBay (that was my first mistake) and it was marked as NWT. It came in the Kiton plastic sleeve and the seller is actually a member here because the same ties he was selling were listed in the classifieds.

The tie doesn't have any label that I can find that notes country of origin nor the material used. Is this a fake if it doesn't have this tag?

2. DougEfresh414

DougEfresh414 Member

Sorry to waste every ones time, I already know the answer to the question of this "Gucci" briefcase authenticity. The person who purchased it wants another opinion before dealing with the seller on eBay. So please give you opinions.
    Thanks D

PS.. This was sold as brand new so this is how it came from the "Gucci" factory.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PointDexter2014

PointDexter2014 Senior member

armani collezioni made in china-Real or Fake
    Ok. I was walking through the local TJ Max here in locale. And came across a bunch of armani collezioni polo, and short sleeve tees with all of all items to prove authenticity. The only strange thing about the shirt is that on the back of the label list origin as China.

When/if did armani collezioni shift production to China? Are these shirts fake.

4. mr usneun

mr usneun Senior member

Why so suspicious? Does it feel and look real? Is the price OK?

1 person likes this.
  5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Collezioni is a budget diffusion line, could be made anywhere, China, Mexico, Vietnam, India, etc. Highly unlikely TJ Maxx would knowingly sell fakes. Probably end of line/season or excess unsold stock, that's what TJ Maxx do.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  6. NotCreative

NotCreative Active Member

This shirt seems genuine, however I'd like to get a second opinion.

Thanks in advance.

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DougEfresh414

DougEfresh414 Member

I'm a product photographer and have pictured hundreds of Paul and Shark since I started with the company I am with now. Some of the things I see look good and some don't. The couple things that don't look right are the fact that the stiching of the patch being sown of too tight like that. I've never witnessed that but maybe its a factory second or another good possibility is it was already worn washed and dried in the dryer on too hot of a heat so the fabric shrunk up around it( and put the tag back on it . The item tag does not look right either but I viewed it my iphone so I can't get a great look. From what I can tell the logo tag looks legit and the one thing that looks good that I'd be surprised to see on a fake is the type of paper the hang tag is printed on. Everyone I've seen has that very light ribbing/strips in the paper. I'd be surprised if a replica would take the time and money for small details like that. I will upload a few pics of a sweater i have at home with the tags still that u can use as reference when I get home.

1 person likes this.
  8. DougEfresh414

DougEfresh414 Member

I just looked it it on my iPad screen I'd say it deff looks good. The stitching is too tight on the patch but whatever it will probly be fine after a good steam or ironing, sorry for the previous over evaluation just from looking at the pictures on my iPhone. That's a nice plaid pattern also.
    Nice find,Doug

9. Curioser

Curioser New Member

Feedback on Vintage Gianni Versace shirt please
    Hello all,

I am new to these parts. I would really appreciate some help with a beautiful Gianni Versace vintage silk Versace shirt i have recently been given. Ideally i would like to sell this shirt but i really want to make certain it is genuine. I do believe (gut instinct) that it is but was hoping for some trained eyes to help out.

Also i would greatly appreciate any help with identifying the exact period/year/season it came out. I have some pics... Taken on female though as i did not have a male to hand!

I noted a couple of things that bothered me but seemed inconclusive. One that the buttons are black plastic (no stamp) and not metal, also that there is only one label left... when i look closely i can see there was another label but it has been cut out presumably. The label does llok authentic it reads Gianni Versace and has Made in Italy along the side of it.

The shirt is definately high quality silk fabric but as stated there is no label with this info on. On the back of the shirt there is (in the print) a shape with Atelier Versace written.

The pattern is beautiful and i did see two shirts on extensive searches that are the same but they are a different colour, dark base rather than light... also the two i have seen seem to be unattached to an individual or site i can contact, though i did send one email to one site a few days ago... no news as yet.

I do hope i am not intruding in the wrong place. I understand very little about where i should be posting this thread so do please point me in a different direction if i am in the wrong place.

Oh also if anyone knows the approx value, that would be fantastic.

Will add photo's now, many Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gem

10. spiderelbow

spiderelbow New Member

Fake Ferragamo shoes - picture limits?
    Hi all,

First, what a fantastic forum. Thank you to whomever runs and moderates this site - great stuff!

I'm inspired by this post "Are My Ferragamos Real?". I bought a pair of counterfeit(auction dies July 5) Salvatore Ferragamo shoes from a very well known merchant, italomoda4men. I'd like to share my interaction with the merchant, how I got my money back ($188), and other info on how I documented the process. I think this is an important issue. The merchant has many sales, and I can only imagine how many people are wearing his counterfeits.

I would like some help with the following. I took several pictures comparing the counterfeits to an authentic pair of the exact same model (and color, black).

How many images am I limited to post in a new thread? I have about 12 images total - 7 of the fakes, 5 of the authentic shoes. They're around 500x500. Could I upload all of them (with description, of course).

Thank you in advance!

spiderelbow

PS. Just a quick example of the shoes model Pregiato, a nice loafer. Note the shoes in the top pic: 1) have rubber(!) soles, 2) fused sole, 3) glued rubber heels, not stacked and tacked (no nails!), logo is vertical, not horizontal, 4) wear is not correct for a used leather sole. Bottom pic shows: 1) Leather sole, 2) sewn sole, 3) stacked and tacked heel (nails), 4) logo is horizontal. There are a ton of other tells that I'll share (goodness, I hope you all are interested in this?). Thanks again everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. goldencs

goldencs Well-Known Member

Fake Dolce & Gabbana?

AIs this a real DOLCE & GABBANA? Please help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  12. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

if its new there should bea a hologram.
    if its used then the hologram could have fallen off.
    given the detials that you listed it looks real.

looks good! what did you get that for?

13. goldencs

goldencs Well-Known Member

14. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

i wouldnt worry looks good.
    also you can tell by the feel of the garment.
    dolce wouldnt use bad leather.

15. wing8tesqw

wing8tesqw Well-Known Member

I think the tags show the season and year.
    Does it smell like lambskin?
    What happened to the hanger?

16. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

The tag is off center and the embroidery and stitching looks cheap. It's probably fake.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  17. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

I'm not sure about this piece, but the printing looks pretty good.

18. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

19. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

^ Sorry, but it also looks fake. The logo is off center. And the jacquard weave on that logo silk is horrible. No detail. The first thing you have to look at is the company's branding.

Also, when you see blurry pics on ebay it's often a hint that the seller is hiding something.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  20. NotCreative

NotCreative Active Member