• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

AndrewST

Reaction score
I’m no expert, but not necessarily. The gold stitching is a standard addition as far as I know, but if this is a vintage piece it may have just come loose at some point and been replaced. It’s quite relaxed stitching and very easy to snag, and it seems to me that if someone were to go to the effort of faking a Golden Fleece suit they wouldn’t have skipped such an easy detail that would obviously give it away as fake.

The size label in your second photo perfectly matches the one in my suit, down to the spacing of the characters and the slightly skewed stitching around the edges, and the buttonhole is also identical.
Thanks, Keith. That's good to know! On closer inspection I see that the there's a small belt buckle loop just above the zipper, which would be an odd touch for a knock off suit.

Attachments

volcanotristate

Reaction score
If you want to live in peace and comfort, pay for your sins on the site found-salvation.com . Our service will help you find peace of mind. If the burden of past sins weighs on you, preventing you from living in peace. You just pay for it on our website (the amount can be any). And so it is every time you sin. It's very simple. found-salvation.com
WTF... go away

volcanotristate

Reaction score
Thanks, Keith. That's good to know! On closer inspection I see that the there's a small belt buckle loop just above the zipper, which would be an odd touch for a knock off suit.
What is the purpose of that little loop? Watch chain or something??

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
What is the purpose of that little loop? Watch chain or something??
It’s a belt keeper loop. You pass the prong of the belt through the loop before fastening it, and it will keep your belt buckle centred. Not much of an issue for most people, nor most belts, but I have a couple of suede belts that have a habit of shifting off centre as I move, so it can come in handy on occasion.

volcanotristate

Reaction score
It’s a belt keeper loop. You pass the prong of the belt through the loop before fastening it, and it will keep your belt buckle centred. Not much of an issue for most people, nor most belts, but I have a couple of suede belts that have a habit of shifting off centre as I move, so it can come in handy on occasion.
Thanks!! I will use it. My belts always go wonky with my cords, so I can see this as very useful

parvezs27

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Hope you're all well.

New to the forum and loving all the content so far!! ✌

Please do let me know if this question does not belong here, I just saw similar questions regarding authenticity of items on here and thought it should be okay if I asked something similar. Once again, please do advise if there are any concerns/issues.

Getting to the question, I found this Thom Browne shirt at a thrift store down here in Melbourne, Australia. When I brought it back home and had a proper look, it just didn't feel authentic and like an actual $700 shirt, but I may be totally wrong. I would greatly appreciate your input here to decipher if it's an authentic piece or not and why or why not you think that is.

Thank you! 🙏

Attachments

parvezs27

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Hope you're all well.

New to the forum and loving all the content so far!! ✌

Please do let me know if this question does not belong here, I just saw similar threads regarding authenticity of items on here and thought it should be okay if I asked something similar. Once again, please do advise if there are any concerns/issues, happy to make adjustments as needed 👍

Getting to the question, I found this Thom Browne shirt at a thrift store down here in Melbourne, Australia. When I brought it back home and had a proper look, it just didn't feel authentic and like an actual $700 shirt, but I may be totally wrong. I would greatly appreciate your input here to decipher if it's an authentic shirt or not and why or why not you think that is the case.

Thank you! 🙏

Attachments

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The details look right and I’m inclined to say it’s genuine.

No shirt is worth $700. In fact, I don’t think TB shirts cost that much new. They do make a solid product though.

parvezs27

Reaction score
The details look right and I’m inclined to say it’s genuine.

No shirt is worth $700. In fact, I don’t think TB shirts cost that much new. They do make a solid product though.
Thanks a lot for your response! When you say "details", what are you referring to exactly? The tags for instance?
I wasn't fully sure if they were actually $700, I just remembered from a quick Google search I did, it must've been $700 Australian dollars.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your response! When you say "details", what are you referring to exactly? The tags for instance?
I wasn't fully sure if they were actually $700, I just remembered from a quick Google search I did, it must've been $700 Australian dollars.
cost and worth are two different things of course.

yes, details like the tags, inside labels, the tri-color stripe (which appears to have the texture of grosgrain) all suggest that it’s authentic.

parvezs27

Reaction score
Appreciate the help here mate! 🙏
Ah yes cost and worth 🤦‍♂️ It's been a loooong day 🥱
But yes absolutely agree there. The shirt must have some sort of rare, valuable materials for it to be worth that much.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the help here mate! 🙏
Ah yes cost and worth 🤦‍♂️ It's been a loooong day 🥱
But yes absolutely agree there. The shirt must have some sort of rare, valuable materials for it to be worth that much.
The shirt exists only as an NFT. Now the cost makes sense.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see any red flags on that shirt. It looks like a genuine made in USA OCBD from a few years back. Retail in the US is $425.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.