• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I came across what is supposed to be a Ermenegildo Zegna couture sport coat. As you can see from the attached photos, one of the labels says "Ermenegildo Zegna couture exclusively for" without saying exclusively for whom. Is this a telltale of a fake? Thank you for your replies.

Attachments

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I came across what is supposed to be a Ermenegildo Zegna couture sport coat. As you can see from the attached photos, one of the labels says "Ermenegildo Zegna couture exclusively for" without saying exclusively for whom. Is this a telltale of a fake? Thank you for your replies.
I wouldn’t say it’s fake. The labels are made and then the particular retail partners name is applied.

Nickd

Reaction score
Right, but I think it depends on how you read it. Terms such as "made in ****" are pretty tightly regulated. But if it's read as "a genuine product English made and designed since 1924" then it could be construed as an ad line. I don't know.

I'm sure it's Italian made. Also, the details are just too specific. People making knock offs are looking for maximum profitability. Given that, it's doubtful they'd use anything but nylon and slap "Belstaff" on it.

That's just my take.
This is absolutely spot on. They are a traditionally English brand, and they trade on that, hence the English designed line, but they have to declare where it was made, hence the made in Italy tag.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legit, it wouldn’t say a store name under it tho it would have the person who ordered its name under it. It probably hit clearance after season when it didn’t sell at retail

Reaction score
Thank you all for your insights. I really appreciate you taking the time to post these helpful replies.

Buzto

Reaction score
Gentlemen. Anyone know if this looks real? Put up for 80 euros, labeled a "vintage fleece jacket". Seems to say gentleman givenchy on the label, but last I checked that is a perfume?

Attachments

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen. Anyone know if this looks real? Put up for 80 euros, labeled a "vintage fleece jacket". Seems to say gentleman givenchy on the label, but last I checked that is a perfume?
I haven’t a clue if it’s genuine or not. But €80 works Out to ~$100 which doesn’t exactly strike me as much of a bargain.

Buzto

Reaction score
I haven’t a clue if it’s genuine or not. But €80 works Out to ~$100 which doesn’t exactly strike me as much of a bargain.
You are certainly not wrong. Been looking for a cool fleece jacket for weeks after missing out on an old Patagonia fleece jacket for 25 bucks. So this is moreso because I finally found one after searching for so long.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are certainly not wrong. Been looking for a cool fleece jacket for weeks after missing out on an old Patagonia fleece jacket for 25 bucks. So this is moreso because I finally found one after searching for so long.
even if it is “Givenchy”, it doesn’t look like anything special. I think their was a men’s line in the 1970’s and 80’s which was basically nothing more than just the label. It has nothing to do with Hubert Givenchy.

There is a current men’s line which seems to trend more toward really high end streetwear but this doesn’t strike me as that.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.