• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

iza

Reaction score

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked up this zip hoody for next to nothing, but I have serious concerns about authenticity. I have zero experience with Stone Island, but I have done my research and some of the details definitely seem off, specifically with the button hole stitching and buttons on the sleeve patch and and the zippers. I have also searched the model number, but all that shows are recent hoodies and sweaters. However, some of the people I have asked have suggested the differences are just due to the age of the sweater. Can anyone lend a hand in helping me confirm one way or the other? Thanks in advance!
John
20170605_161211.jpg

20170605_161720.jpg

20170605_161735.jpg

20170605_161220.jpg

20170605_161407.jpg

20170605_161439.jpg

20170605_161249.jpg

20170605_161305.jpg

20170605_161547.jpg

20170605_161617.jpg

Retrostyledd

Reaction score
Hi!
I bought this vintage lacoste shirt the other day. I have been searching the web and now I'm doubting if its real or fake. It have a 'S' on the label and i've been Reading that the original polos always have the size in Numbers not letters? But maybe its different because this is a vintage one?
Help me out!!! X

IMG_8755.jpg

IMG_8757.jpg

IMG_8756.jpg

ctolliver

Reaction score
Hey guys, it was just brought to my attention that these could possibly be fake. Anyone here an expert on J.M. Weston shoes? I have more photos if needed.
IMG_0199.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG
IMG_7558.JPG
IMG_8139.JPG

ctolliver

Reaction score
What makes you think they are fake? They look like a well crafted shoe to me

I posted them for sale and had someone message me claiming they were fake, due to the fact that the sizing was imprinted on the sole. Also said the logo looked off. They seem to be very well made to me, so it just surprised me and figured I'd ask for another opinion!

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted them for sale and had someone message me claiming they were fake, due to the fact that the sizing was imprinted on the sole. Also said the logo looked off. They seem to be very well made to me, so it just surprised me and figured I'd ask for another opinion!
Ya sorry, I dont know. I took a look on eBay and can't find any with that stamp or sizing like that on the inside. Also the dots between the J.M. are raised. Sorry can't be of more help

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look off to me too. The sole stitching makes me think that the welting might be fake and that the soles are glued on. It looks to me that the stitching on the bottom of the sole will likely not align with the welt stitching. See how far apart the sole stitches are?

ctolliver

Reaction score
They look off to me too. The sole stitching makes me think that the welting might be fake and that the soles are glued on. It looks to me that the stitching on the bottom of the sole will likely not align with the welt stitching. See how far apart the sole stitches are?

I actually just got a response from J.M. Weston confirming that these are not authentic. Not a huge deal to me, since they were picked up at a thrift store for $3.99, but I'm just glad I didn't sell them to someone thinking they were real!

Thanks for the help!

lol

Reaction score
IMHO! I would stay away from Ebay seller with an abundant inventory on such designer name like Gucci. Most of the time if not all,
it is going to be un-authentic.

lol

Reaction score
Hi All,

What do you think of these, genuine or fakes? The seller was unwilling to provide a written guarantee that the sweater is 100% authentic.

Sweater: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ermenegi...768000?hash=item4d5b4592c0:g:0rkAAOSwhvFZI9zr

Jacket: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ermenegi...386370?hash=item2a83b642c2:g:bQkAAOSwopRYk~CM
The sweater look nice and seems to be legit. And it look new based on the fabric/instruction tags. Looking carefully on the first pic, there is some pilling from the fabric.
The jacket's pics are so blurry.

Last edited:

lol

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance!

I'm just not sure on the tag, it looks a little off, what do others think?
The tags look OK. For garments made from delicate fabric, the tags on the necks
usually are slightly attached to the fabric. For me, I usually cut the neck tags off
from my cashmere sweaters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads