1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ebmk3891, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

Thanks for updating us

2. Rixon

Rixon Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'd like to check for your opinion on this Wool Brunello Cucinelli coat's authenticity. It's deconstructed and arrived today from an ebay seller. Pics to follow:

Why I'm concerned:
    - The buttons look a bit off, but it may be older
    - The material tag says 100% leather. What?
    - The fit for a medium coat is rather slimmer than I would expect. I am a 50 chest and 48 waist. I did take it to a tailor today and he can make it fit comfortably. I trust him quite a bit, due to awesome experience.
    - The arms are wool inside. The half lining doesn't actually go completely through the arms. Just the shoulders. That's different, to me.

Why I'm not:
    - Holy the wool is heavy, nice, perfect, and I can't compare it to anything.
    - The sailor-type design is a Cucinelli staple.
    - The tags do seem legit, as does the lining and craftsmanship. I have a picture of the buttonhole.
    - The color is recognizable for Cucinelli and what I have seen before.

If it's real and the tailor doesn't make it fit cleanly, you can expect it to be sold on this site :)

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow the exposure, but you get it :) Yes yes, I need to clean my kitchen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks & best,

3. ravipops

ravipops New Member

Loro piana sweater?? Quality of the fiber and craftsmanship seem legit but I'm concerned about the slight error in the spacing of the word italy on the tag. Would appreciate any imput

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Wrong Crowd

Wrong Crowd Senior member

Even if the spacing was right, that looks different than the fonts I've seen. Also, is it just the lighting or is that tag brown? I've only ever seen black.

5. ravipops

ravipops New Member

There are definitely brown tags but I think it must be counterfeit with the spacing error. Although some others seem to have slight spacing errors as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would appreciate your thoughts regarding the authenticity of this Burberry trench .. What do you think - Genuine or not? Thanks.

7. LookingGood

LookingGood Well-Known Member

Seller is a member on here but with no feedback. The price seems reasonable but I just want to be sure.

Also could anyone point out any indicators to look for when shopping for these RLPL shirts for future reference?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

No idea. It does not resemble any Burberry with which I'm familiar. That means nothing, of course. It might be modern, and judging by the apparent length it might very well be. But everything about it is different than my own coat.

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Both, in fact, are real. The first one in this thread is older, pre '98 and more likely '80s. The curve of the cape is perfectly fine, there were more than a few variations of the double-breasted trench.

The second is more modern and the shorter version of the double-breasted trench.

10. Jayfive

Jayfive New Member

Hi chaps, I sell stuff for people on ebay and a new client has given me some stuff that may be fake so I need to double-check with the SF hive-mind before going any further. Only two for now but some pics of shirts to follow once my camera battery has recharged. Thanks in advance.

Versace Mens trousers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dockers Mens trousers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. AndyThrift

AndyThrift New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked this up for a few bucks thrifting the other day seems iffy but the tags and quality seem decent enough . I only have one older Burberrys' jacket so my experience is limited can anyone tell me if this is fake?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  12. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Senior member

The Versace Jeans and Dockers look fine to me but neither are valuable.

For the Burberry, can you post pictures of the snaps and the zipper, as well as the other side of the inside tag? That's the '99 to 05' label they switched to from Burberry's. From what I can tell I don't see any red flags. It would be older so not hugely valuable but the nova check collar would certainly help.

13. Jayfive

Jayfive New Member

Thanks for that - here's the remaining items I need to query:
    Ralph Lauren shirt:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YSL Jeans shirt:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D&G Shirt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lacoste Shirt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior member

Out of interest why did you think these items might be fake? Any warning signs? They mostly don't seem to be the kind of things worth faking, from a manufacturing perspective.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  15. Jayfive

Jayfive New Member

As I mentioned in the first post I sell stuff for people on ebay - as in they give me stuff and I do all the legwork and get 25% commission. I've had fake stuff in the past and while these aren't high-end brands you certainly find fake d&g or lacoste on markets and car boot sales. So it pays to check given that ebay buyers will routinely assume bad faith if they get a fake item.

Basically my spidey-sense went off with one or two of these - specifically the Lacoste shirt that has one or two things specified in 'how to spot a fake ebay' guides. However comments below these guides were calling them out as BS so as I don't know who to believe at this stage I just want to be sure :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  16. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

The Lacoste looks fake and the saint Laurent looks suspect

17. munisteredwaed

munisteredwaed Well-Known Member

Is this a real or fake kiton napoli
    [​IMG]

18. Zeer

Zeer New Member

Hi all,

Long time lurker here. I recently ordered some Oliver Peoples (model NDG OV 5031) off eBay, and I am suspicious their authenticity. Upon taking them out of the case (which seemed genuine enough) they immediately felt 'cheap' in a way I can't quite describe, but on closer inspection I noticed a few more things. Specifically, the hinges on these glasses look different to the images of genuine models I can find online (mine are a 2 + 1 configuration, rather than the 'normal' 2+3 configuration, and they feel noticeably cheap and flimsy). Although it does have the OP logo in the left arm, it also does not quite look right to me. Is anybody able to confirm that these are fake so that I can be more confident returning them? Ultimately I am very happy with how these glasses look, but I did not pay a premium price for a non-genuine product. Thank you very much!

I have attached some photos I took of the pair I received, which can be compared to this photo of seemingly genuine glasses: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IDwAAOxyRNJSmTPQ/s-l500.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. jsstx

jsstx New Member

Can someone help me out? I've been looking everyone online and can't find anything that will help me verify if these are real or fake

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  20. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

No pics....?