1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fake canali?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ballines, Jul 2, 2004.

1. ballines

ballines Well-Known Member

Recently purchased a Canali off of eBay. Having a very hard time telling if it's authentic. I'll probably make a run to a shop later.

Hints it is Canali:
    1) Stitching around the pockets and on the edges of lapels looks right (you can see the small stitch marks)
    2) Tag still attached to sleeves and label inside the jacket is right (capital CANALI stitched in a light colored thread)
    3) Pants detailing is right (lining to the knees, light stitchings around the fly)
    4) White fabric tag inside the jacket says (among other things), Canali on it.

Hints its not Canali:
    1) Definitely feels like there is a fusing layer (I was under the impression that all Canali suits were not fused). It's a very light fusing layer though.
    2) The label on the inside of the coat (CANALI stitched in light beige), the label isn't actually attached by the light stitching. I can look in through the inside right breast pocket and see hand stitched dark blue stitches (that better match the lining). Can anyone check inside a Canali suit through the right breast pocket and see what the stitching of the label looks like on the underside?

Hoping this is real.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

If this will help ease your mind a bit about this (I know the thought of buying something fake off eBay is annoying and stressful):

If the fusing is very light, that is promising because generally the quality of something fake is shit, for lack of a better term. The manufacturers tend not to bother on making the actual quality of the item on par with the original, so I would guess that your suit is older, perhaps from a period when Canali suits were fused, rather than fake.

Since I own no Canali suits, I cannot give you information about the stitching, unfortunately.

3. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

A few pics of a real Canali (bought it from Canali on New Bond Street) Hope these help: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ballines

Went to a store to look at Canalis.  It's counterfeit.  Let's see how the merchant handles this.

The label on the inside of the jacket clearly has an extra layer. In other words, it looks like it was cut out of another jacket and stitched into this one.

Besides the fusing, the constructions really isn't that bad though. Surprised that anyone would go through the trouble.

5. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Any chance you could provide pics or the link to the auction?

6. ballines

Experts please look at this seller: specialplace on eBay.

Tons of positive feedback, but if you look at all the suits that he has sold, they are almost all the identical cut, no matter if it is Zegna, Canaletti, Canali, etc.

Plus look at the stitchings of labels that look somewhat suspect.

7. ballines

bump, not sure my edited comments bumped it to the top

8. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I remember there being a thread about dishonest ebay sellers taking cheap fused discount store brands with psuedo-Italian names (Naldini, Canaletti, Coveri) and trying to pass them off as suits by high end clothiers. This guy's auctions were a huge example of that practice, if not the biggest one, which is why I never gave any of his other auctions a close enough look. Now that you mention it, most of his suits do look suspiciously identical regardless of brand, and he already is being overtly dishonest in his auctions, but since I'm not an expert I'll defer to others to elaborate on their thoughts.

9. ballines

Nah, its clearly fake.

Hadn't read about the Naldini/Canaletti controversies, so wasn't aware of it, but after further research, its clearly part of their scam.

After examining the garment some more, it is clearly most likely fake.

The only thing still throwing me off is that the inside white fabric tag says Canali and LP Tasmanian on it (presumably Loro Piana). On the same tag at Lew Rothmans (in NYC), it says Canali and Rothmans on it. But in any case that particular label doesn't look fake or fakely stitched, though I could be wrong.

I haven't heard back from the seller, but I'm hoping to resolve this one amicably, although I'm pretty #&@$%#^ pissed.

10. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Good luck with that; if he's a dick about it I'm sure some disgruntled forum members will step up to help if they can.

11. ballines

Thanks, the seller is in Inglewood, CA btw, in case anyone wants to go pay him/her a visit.

We should start a HOF post of eBay sellers to be aware of. Prior to the purchase, I did a bunch of searches on the seller's name (though not on the Naldini/Caneletti thing) and didn't come up with anything. That I didn't find anything negative combined with 4000 positive feedbacks made me think this one was safe.

12. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Canali does private label - perhaps someone, even Canali, stitched a Canali label back over the private label?? Sort of like what EG does with RLPL shoes - they pull out the insole cover and put one of their own back in so they can sell it at the end-of-season sales.

If the inside tag looks authentic, then it probably is real...

Post pics of the label and other elements that make you suspicious. Then we can better see what you mean.

13. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Word of advice, don't mess with anyone in Inglewood.

"Inglewood, Inglewood always up to no good." - Tupac

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Hear, hear.

koji

15. selwob

selwob New Member

They sell canaletti and naldini saying the reetail is $1999 while another says they are$1099-which is it.? There was a thread about this a while back,and I think it's very unethical for them to suggest these makes are high end when clearly they aren't.Isn't this practice against ebay rules? How do they get away with it ?.Someone should call them on it.It's not right..