• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fake Alligator Shoes

trajan

Reaction score
How do you spot fake alligator shoes? I was at a dance club the other day and there were these 2 guys with alligator shoes, which I suspect were fake. (They really don't go well when combined with a $5 T-shirt)

--trajan

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan
How do you spot fake alligator shoes? I was at a dance club the other day and there were these 2 guys with alligator shoes, which I suspect were fake. (They really don't go well when combined with a $5 T-shirt)

--trajan

Fake as in printed leather pattern? Or fake as in not even leather? Or fake as in being Crocodile?

I think you'd have to get pretty close to have a look at the grooving between the 'scales'. I have only one pair of Alligator/Crocs, from Mezlan and am still yet to find an occasion to wear them.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you own gators, you can spot fakes a mile away. Crocs are not Fake gators. Good crocs cost as much as gators. Beware, there are a lot of fake gators on ebay.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the most stylish images I have from the NYC subway is an elderly African American man in thrift store 70s clothes and a pair of "genuine" stamped croc slip ons. In spite of the outlandishness of his dress for a conservative boardroom, he was immaculately and comfortably turned out and resonated with a style I admired.

Moral: style isnt always about emptying one's wallet.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like these J&M embossed loafers. They make a great country club casual shoe.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Once you own gators, you can spot fakes a mile away. Crocs are not Fake gators. Good crocs cost as much as gators. Beware, there are a lot of fake gators on ebay.

That was a joke, about crocodile being fake alligator

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
This is true. Stamped exotic skins lack a certain sheen and look very dull.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Stamped exotic skins lack a certain sheen and look very dull.
That was exactly what I was going to say. I have an alligator skin watchband and now it's very obvious to me whats a fake and what isn't because it just doesn't match the sheen of true alligator.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan
(They really don't go well when combined with a $5 T-shirt)

What does?

lutfa

Reaction score
Your question is a forgetta about it question.Alligators and crocs come on different finishes.Glossy finish and matte finish.Some skins are old and some come from younger skins.Now a days crocs and gators can be as soft or softer than calf skin due to the treatment.I would think you can get a idea from the deep grooves . The grooves would have also some color differences a little darker or lighter if there not black.Some these makers are doing pretty good fakes now a days which I'm not to pleased with like few companies out here who are copying well made shoes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40