Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Faire Leather Co. Official Affliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Faire Leather Co., Nov 13, 2017.

1. Faire Leather Co.

Faire Leather Co. New Member Affiliate Vendor

Hi SF!

Ryan and Joe here, and we’re the founders of Faire Leather Co.. Thanks for taking the time to check us out.

We’re honoured and excited to be part of this amazing community. One of the goals we had when we started Faire was to be a brand for the people. We couldn’t think of a better place to start building those relationships and gathering feedback than the SF community, so here we are!

Faire started out from a casual conversation we had over a couple of drinks. Joe was talking about his family business and it then came to the ideas we could build; how my experience meant I could market a concept for a product he would create.

I’m your standard working professional that works on the move. I carry my kindle, my laptop, a notebook and other daily essentials in my work bag. But I didn’t feel like there was anything out there that was solving a truly simple and fundamental problem - while the outside of my bag looked polished, inside it’s a mess and I can never find my stuff.

So I first asked Joe, “How difficult is it to make a bag that could neatly fit all my essentials?”

He explained that it wasn’t as easy as just building compartments. We would need to reimagine the structure of the conventional briefcase and make something that no one else had made before. We had to think specifically about the everyday needs of modern professionals and design the product with a focus on functionality not just with the compartments, but also the details that would make the product.

We achieved this by bringing each prototype to focus groups before incorporating feedback with each iteration – over and over again until we got it right. This isn’t something many makers have the luxury of doing, but we could because Joe’s family owns a leather factory. This also means we would never have to pay a manufacturer’s fee or a sample production cost. We also save on materials because of the relationships the business has built with suppliers over the years, and their craftsmen expertise in cutting leather efficiently. These cost savings made throughout the entire production process, we then pass on to you.

Ultimately, an attribute that goes beyond pricing is quality. Joe’s family has been making leather products for over 30 years. They have worked with countless types of materials and hardware, as well as the processes that go into making different kinds of bags. With Faire, we will have the same quality and knowhow, just updated for a new generation.

We set out to redefine true value as Functional Luxury at a Fair Price. Our product design philosophy rides on two main factors:

• Polished Exteriors: Along with our use of different materials, our stylish designs are accompanied by a clean and polished look, this differs from the more raw and rugged approach that our competitors take.

• Effortless Organisation: We’ve considered all your everyday needs. From your laptop and tablet to smaller items such as your keys, cables and a compartment for your business cards. We’ve even made a compartment for your SIM/SD cards. Everything is well-kept, and easy to access.
    After months of development and discussions, we’re proud to present our debut collection, which will be launching online this November.

Here are some photos of our Bond Travel Briefcase and Everyday Padfolio, as well as a selection of our small leather goods.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With gratitude, we’ll be releasing a limited number of super early bird discounts for our upcoming Kickstarter campaign. So be sure to subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to know when we launch.

You can find us on our website, Facebook, Instagram, and right here on Styleforum. At Faire Leather Co., our objective is to make what you want and need so we would love to hear your feedback and welcome any questions you have!

Best,

Ryan & Joe

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

2. Faire Leather Co.

Hey folks, we just launched on Kickstarter and were funded within the first 48 hours. You can check out our campaign here. We'd love to hear your thoughts, or answer any questions > http://kck.st/2yY34mo

3. Faire Leather Co.

Hey folks, we've received a couple of messages asking us to reveal more images of our bag interiors, so here goes. Hope you enjoy them, and we would love to hear your thoughts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Had a chance to testdrive the BOND Briefcase and the Padfolio. My full review is posted here, but I'll summarize it here for those reading on this thread.

Executive Summary: Throw away your Targus, Techboy… I’ve got your new bag.

What I like: The size is great, the leather has the right balance of softness and thickness, they are very understated with any logoing/branding, and hardware is clean and functional. LOVE the leather lining (most bags at this pricepoint use nylon/cloth). Also love that they have managed to use full leather while keeping the bag lightweight.

The main thing that sets it apart, though, is its focus on tech-friendly; the bag was designed from the start not just to look good, but also to hold all your gizmos without sacrificing quality/style.

Overall Assessment: I'm putting it in the Rach “must buy” segment, and an absolute essential for those with technology. It "feels" to me like a $600-750 bag, which if you had it on a table with no information and asked me to guess, I'd probably have done. That being said... I don't recommend to them that they double their prices.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017

5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Here's a pic of the bag I've been test driving... I'll post the Padfolio when I get a chance.

FAIRE 1.jpg

FAIRE 2.jpg

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

Rach is always a good source of bag insight. I've been bandying around the idea of commissioning something like the padfolio for a while (typically they aren't big enough for my work laptop)...

7. Joe_Faire

Joe_Faire Active Member Affiliate Vendor

Hi Guys, we just launched on Kickstarter on the 15th of November and could really use some comments and suggestions with regards to our product. We've raised over 200K with 24 days to go but would like to garner more feedback.

In a nutshell, we wanted to recreate the conventional briefcase with some considered functionalities at a great price.

Joe's family's been making bags for over 30 years now and the briefcase in green was made since then and still remains in mint condition. Of course, you can see that we've taken some design cues off the bag in terms of that classic silhouette, but it's also the interior that we really wanted to make a gamechanger out of.

Ryan and I are kinda new to this community but we'd be happy to learn more from everyone. Looking forward to your comments. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017

8. Joe_Faire

Just curious as to what the dimensions are for your work laptop?

9. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

Can I fit a 13in laptop?

10. Joe_Faire

Yes it can most certainly fit any 13 in laptop.

11. cyc wid it

I'm using a 15" now.

12. Joe_Faire

The Bond Everyday Padfolio will not fit a 15 inch laptop - we designed it to be slim and easily hand-carried (so mostly tablets and smaller laptops).
    I've been thinking of producing a larger version that fits 15 inch laptops as there have been a number of people requesting for this on Kickstarter. Do you think its a good idea?

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I just had a navy leather case delivered to my door. Pictures to follow, but suffice it to say that it's a really nice bag (and I've received a lot of bags from lots of startups). The space is very well thought out, and the leather (veg tan navy), stitching, and overall construction is really quite solid. The functionality is really quite nice. For example, the strap is nice and thick, and comfortable for actual use. A lot of other bags and nice looking shoulder straps, but they tend to be rather uncomfortable or bulky. -This strap is quite wide (maybe 3") and a soft nylon that won't dig into your shoulder or scuff up your jacket.

@rach2jlc said that the one con is that he didn't need all the little modular pockets. I'll have to say that for me, that was one of the big pros.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I might try this. I have The World's Largest Laptop (tm), a military grade Panasonic C-31 toughbook, which is is full 3" deep, and this works, albeit a still tight fit. On the other hand, it's also modular enough to carry my wife's little MacBook Air, which my laptop would eat for lunch and have room left over for dessert.

15. cyc wid it

If there's enough demand, sure. I may end up just requesting a 13" my next upgrade cycle to make my life easier, as I can just rely on external monitors at my desk. I do carry my laptop around quite a bit from meeting to meeting, so that's my personal use case.