• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Fair Isle

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody purchased any new Fair Isle sweaters for the fall?
Post what you got.

Thinking of picking up one of these Steven Alans. Thoughts???

1. Charcoal
2. Brown
3. Green

racknac

Reaction score
i'm wondering if this will be a one season thing.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by racknac
i'm wondering if this will be a one season thing.

In and out of fashion, but always in style, at least since Prince Edward rocked it in the 'twenties:

racknac

Reaction score
i feel a need to go hunting with that sweater on... but I guess thats the new look this season. I really like Jcrew's fair isle sweater.

ma1

Reaction score
Im really not a fan of fair isle vests. I suppose you could pull it off but the pattern is already pretty grampa-ish, making it a vest just emphasizes it imo.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The vests are good for wearing under sportcoats, less so for on their own. There's a TON out this season, but there have been plenty of good ones around the last couple of years. Ervell's take is nice, and I like this one from J press:

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I love fair isle but it's hard to find the right combination so I own none that fit me. The right combination would be,

1. Good fit
2. Good colourway
3. Pattern that isn't too weird (the J Press above looks good)
4. Wool that doesn't suck ass quality wise
5. Fairly warm but not super bulky

The vast majority fail on points 1 and 4. The blue Ervell fair isle from a while ago is close enough that I'd kop but I have yet to see one that I think would fit. TBS has a bunch by Morrison sweaters of scotland but I am seriously suspicious of the fit.

Also that prince edward painting fit is awesome with the messed up hem.

Mr. Tweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
1. Good fit 2. Good colourway 3. Pattern that isn't too weird (the J Press above looks good) 4. Wool that doesn't suck ass quality wise 5. Fairly warm but not super bulky
Dear AR_Six, I think this collaboration between William Lockie and the Stockholm retailer Paul & friends would fit your bill exactly: http://www.paul-friends.com/shop/ind...52&language=en
It is an exclusive collection of Argyle and Fair Isle knitwear based on the quality and colours of William Lockie and the modern fit of Paul & friends. Knitted in Scotland of course. Mixing the best of classic patterns, old-fashioned quality and a modern cut certainly seems to attract attention in Stockholm. Perhaps also something for you at SF... Yours, Mr. Tweed

yodawg

Reaction score
missoni looks fair isle-ish to me but more modern.

juniper

Reaction score
Necroposting. Awesome. To make up for it, a couple of pictures of fair isle:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Noob question but i feel like i cannot wear fair isle designs all year round w/o someone asking me "is it Christmas already?"

is this item only an annual/seasonal item to wear? please school me (been looking at some to kop)

thebunk

Reaction score
Pretty sure by next season, we can say fair isle will be the new argyle as it will be in every store in every mall within middle America.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.