• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Failproof dinner recipe

Tommyhibbs

Reaction score
So I'm having the girl I have been dating for the past couple weeks over to my apartment for dinner tomorrow. I'm looking for some advice on a good "date type" dinner recipe that is straightforward and easy to make. The only criteria I have is that it not be pasta because we went out for italian this past week. My cooking skills are probably better than the average college student but definitely nothing special.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a couple of rib eye steaks always work. sear in a pan for a minute on each side before finishing in the broiler. season before cooking with sea salt and black pepper.

arugula with some nice cherry tomatoes or sliced heirloom. simple dressing of 1 part lemon juice or sherry vinegar, 2 parts extra virgin olive oil and a tbsp of oregano

a good fail-proof meal for a novice. works well with some oven-roasted potatoes which you can dress with dill, lemon, salt and pepper

Tommyhibbs

Reaction score
Yeah I had thought about a rib eye, the problem with that is every time I cook rib eyes and sear them I fill my apartment full of smoke because I don't have a good enough fan over the range. Something I forgot to mention was I plan on doing the cooking with her so bonus points for a recipe with more processes that would keep us both involved.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to My Recipes

Do a search for Scallops.
Scallops sauteed in butter and lemon are quick, easy, delicious, elegant, particularly for college food. Four large ones for each of you should be enough.
Choose from the Cooking Light recipes.

They will suggest something to go with it. Or you can search for a simple salad.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on arugula salad, tastes great with basically anything, looks pretty fancy and is WAY easy.

For dessert: how about crêpes with icecream? I'm sure you can make a pancake!

Main course, I'm just throwing out some ideas here: paella, tortillas, quiche, coq au vin - basically stuff with THAT much ingredients that it's impossible to mess up.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roast something. Chicken, leg of lamb, whatever....

Its easy, hard to **** up (if you have a meat thermometer), tastes great, and the house will smell incredible... Not really something to cook together, but it does a great stress free meal

K

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^lol

Just make a steak and finish it in the oven instead of cooking it all the way on the stove.. that way you don't fill your house with smoke.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tacos. Have the ingredients ready and then you each assemble your own. If a food fight ensues, so much the better. Guacamole FTW!!

If you have a grill, shishkabobs allow assembly and then you demonstrate your macho grilling skills. Of course, if you had a grill, I assume you wouldn't fill your room with smoke frying ribeye steaks in a pan.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^just stay away from shellfish, mollusks or broccoli/cauliflower. all gassy as ****.

Tommyhibbs

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help. I ended up doing a standing rib roast, an arugula salad, garlic mashed potatoes and a french silk pie for desert. I ended up doing most of the cooking before she got here but it was still a success and she was pretty impressed.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
"Impressed" meaning?

Haha...just say it: this thread is useless without pics.

Good job Tommy. I hope you'll get in her pants soon.
fistbump.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tommyhibbs
Thanks for all of the help. I ended up doing a standing rib roast, an arugula salad, garlic mashed potatoes and a french silk pie for desert. I ended up doing most of the cooking before she got here but it was still a success and she was pretty impressed.
Is she fat? Scratch that. Was she fat?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads