• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faded jeans age appropriate?

toplel

Reaction score
Would likely pair with white shirt, brown belt/shoes. I look ~ 40, is this a younger mans look I should avoid?

These are NOT distressed (no rips/tears).

6fXdvNO.png

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As thousands of octogenarian farmers can attest, age is not a factor in the wearing of denim, even "in town" these days. But there is denim and then there is denim. If anything I would suggest those jeans border on the "Dad" look, not the young rebel look. If you like them, wear them without fear; no one will think you're trying to channel James Dean.

toplel

Reaction score
Appreciate the response, just curious what you think is "Dad" about those? If there are alternatives let's get them in the thread.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre-faded. Personally I would go for new raw selvedge denim and let it wear to your body. That will cost more than $50, more like $300, but they will last years longer and look infinitely cooler.

toplel

Reaction score
Pre-faded. Personally I would go for new raw selvedge denim and let it wear to your body. That will cost more than $50, more like $300, but they will last years longer and look infinitely cooler.

Google: "Because the fabric hasn’t been pre-washed, raw denim jeans are pretty stiff when you put them on the first time. It takes a few weeks of regular wear to break-in and loosen up a pair. The indigo dye in the fabric can rub off as well. "

To each their own I guess.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Personally I prefer natural indigo to the latest resurgence of acid / enzyme / stone wash I endured in my youth. It would feel like a step backwards for people our age to revisit that folly. You are likely to end up like this fellow or a low-budget Seinfeld.

toplel

Reaction score
Personally I prefer natural indigo to the latest resurgence of acid / enzyme / stone wash I endured in my youth. It would feel like a step backwards for people our age to revisit that folly. You are likely to end up like this fellow or a low-budget Seinfeld.

LEL!! That is hilarious, I even tried to watch the fox news clip but it was down. It looks so terrible. I don't look anything like that man that time travelled in from the 70's, but fair warning ty.

I'm wearing natural indigo rn, normally range from indigo to dark. Just thinking of a rare occasion..a really hot business casual friday with those "light wash" jeans paired with a white shirt. Maybe I'll get a photo of myself in them and post it here, even for laughs. Stay tuned.

Hewes

Reaction score
I think if you are in good shape, it will work great

shorts17

Reaction score
I don't think there is a age limit for it as long as it stays in the "decent" color range. I mean, if you are 60 and go for a meeting try to avoid red or purple!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads