1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Factual errors/dumb stuff in movies that really ruin it for you

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by rdawson808, Jun 23, 2009.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I was watching The Black Book, an otherwise great movie about WWII in the Netherlands, the other night and it had one really bad, factually incorrect scene in it. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed it.

This is a real spoiler so stop reading if you don't want to know.

Towards the end, Hans, the doctor, shoots Elise with insulin in order to kill her.

1. He injects it IV, which you can't do with insulin. It's injected subcutaneously (sp?).

2. It takes effect immediately. Even current fast-acting insulins take 5 minutes to take affect and they've only been around for something like less than 20 years (when I was first diagnosed in 1982 the fasted acting was 30 minute on-set).

3. To counteract the insulin she eats a chocolate bar and it revivers her nearly instantly. Chocolate is very slow to absorb and is not recommended for counteracting low blood sugar.

This bugged me almost as much as that dumb scene in Steel Magnolias with Julia Roberts where she goes all bad-shit crazy when her blood sugar drops.

Any personal annoyances for you?

b

2. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Like most Americans, I'm pretty stupid so I rarely notice that kind of stuff.[​IMG]

3. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Some people get bothered by historical inaccuracies, but I don't. Hollywood doesn't make documentaries, they make entertainment. Bridge on the River Kwai and Gangs of New York are two examples of movies I love, despite knowing the real accounts are NOTHING like the movies.

Now, crap like you mentioned does bother me. It takes little research -- nowadays especially -- to get it right, and there is usually no real reason for such things in the first place.

3. To counteract the insulin she eats a chocolate bar and it revivers her nearly instantly. Chocolate is very slow to absorb and is not recommended for counteracting low blood sugar.

b

Try telling this to my fat, lazy, self-indulgent, diabetic mother-in-law.

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Like most Americans, I'm pretty stupid so I rarely notice that kind of stuff.[​IMG]

Me too. We are true patriots.

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I watched Cop Land the other day. It's supposed to be about a bunch of NYPD cops that, through some loophole, settle in a fictional NJ town, and are brought down by the town "sheriff" (played by Sly Stallone), who discovers that the higher-ups have been murdering cops who might snitch about their connection to the mob.

What really ruined it for me is the fact that New Jersey does not have "sheriffs" on the town level. There are only sheriffs at the county level.

6. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

What really ruined it for me is the fact that New Jersey does not have "sheriffs" on the town level. There are only sheriffs at the county level.

That's true everywhere, at least in America. I own the movie, but it's been a while since I watched it. I'm wondering, though: how big was the NJ town? Some very small towns don't have a police force, so they automatically lie within a sheriff's jurisdiction. That might be the case, but I don't remember.

7. maj

maj Senior member

To the OP; you can administer insulin IV, and it'll act quicker than it does when give SC.

Now, the chocolate bar is another story . . . .

8. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Have any of you ever seen Star Wars?

9. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

When Blaine handwields a minigun in Predator. WTF?

The whole scene where Bond jumps out of the plane with Olga in Quantum of Solace. WTFx2

Kyle reese and that girl surviving in LA even though its been nuked with a high yield ballistic missle in T4, radiation Mr. screenwriter duh. WTFx3

The scene where they steal gas tanks off the back of a tanker truck while moving in the latest Fast and the Furious. WTFx4

10. MsMcGillicuddy

MsMcGillicuddy Senior member

Damned near everything in The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (remake).

The 6 DOESN'T GO TO CONEY ISLAND. And I don't think that line can ever be run over the N/R/F/Q lines, either - the trains are different sizes, and the tracks don't cross anywhere that would allow the switchover.

I admit to yelling at the screen during the movie.

Actually that whole film was filled with shit that didn't have to be wrong - Tony Scott was just too lazy to do it right. Don't call it the midtown transit ops center if you show someone leaving South Ferry. Just call it the downtown ops center.

11. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

TV shows set in NY usually say their police officers are from the 27th precinct. There no longer is a 27th precinct. But that's on purpose, I think.

12. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

TV shows set in NY usually say their police officers are from the 27th precinct. There no longer is a 27th precinct. But that's on purpose, I think.

along similar lines... 555 phone numbers. So annoying.

13. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Transporter 2 where the plane crashes into the ocean and the dudes are fighting underwater (or whatever happens). It made me lol in the theater.

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

People hiding behind car doors to escape gunfire.

15. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I've seen the Black Book and never noticed those factual errors since I was more focused on Elise being naked.

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

why does everyone in a movie who uses a laptop is using an Apple computer or macbook? that bugs the heck out of me.

17. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

In Kung Fu Panda, the panda had three fingers and an opposable thumb. Pandas actually have 5 digits and an enlarged sesamoid bone that serves as a thumb. Totally unrealistic.

1 person likes this.
  18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

why does everyone in a movie who uses a laptop is using an Apple computer or macbook? that bugs the heck out of me.

Bugs you too huh? [​IMG]

On that note, every "hacker" in any movie has some bling bling bullshit OS that is supposed to look "cool" or whatever, but usually ends up looking like it would be a pain in the ass to use, hog resources, and would take twice as long as opening up word and writing the code. [​IMG]

19. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

The CSI shows are completely retarded. Hard to pick just one thing from that lineup, but for me it's the giant room-sized computer in CSI Miami with the glass wall monitor and the touch panel that does it all.

20. r...

r... Senior member

In keeping with the computer theme, anything that had to do with computers and or jargon in that SwordFish movie. Good gawd, hacking in AutoCad to build some six part worm?!?! The representation of the inside of the "internet" which end up looking like Lawnmower Man left over renders.