• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial routine

Mr Martini

Reaction score
Need some help with my current facial routine. I do it weekly or at most twice a week. I dont get a ton of acne maybe like 3 zits a month but i cant seem to get rid of the black heads over my nose and im just overall trying to make my face better. I have really hard water which i think drys out my skin and clogs my pores so i have to fight that too. Anyway im looking for advice on how i can better my routine to be more productive.

Currently i do these in order :

Simple exfoiliating wipes- i honestly don't know if these are even doing anything for me. I really think i should move to an actual scrub
Kyoku face mask- I can really feel my face tightening up with this and i really like it. Negatives are that its a pain to put on and a really big pain ********** to get off.
Biore pore perfect deep cleansing pore strips- The first time i used these it pulled out a lot of really big black heads.Now that those are gone they dont pull out that much from my nose and i can still see black heads everywhere when i look up close. They also are leaving glue all over my nose.
Neutrogena Mens face wash- I used this daily in the shower and also after i would do the entire routine. i think it caused my face to break out more. I started to notice bumps all over my face but they weren't zits, just tiny bumps. I have stopped all use of it and just use hot water in the shower for now.

In the summer time i dont have trouble with zits on my face because i use a safety razor and shave my face everyday, which seems to really fight off anything. But now thats its winter ive got this issues i need to deal with. Any help is much appreciated!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most people don't need anything more than:

1) An exfoliate that can be used once or twice a week

2) A daily cleanser that can be used in the morning and at night

3) Some type of mask that is suited for your skin type, 2-4 times per month

4) A daily moisturizer, SPF if needed

This goes for both men and women. Products like toner and eye cream are a waste of money and IMO are nothing more than a gimmick. I like Aveda's products, but I have to be very careful with moisturizer because my face is naturally oily. I used to use their SPF moisturizer but right now I'm using their aftershave/lotion combo and only apply it where I shave, and below my eyes. It doesn't have an SPF, which is the downside. I also use their exfoliate, clay mask and daily cleanser.

Daily wipes might be a good idea, but honestly I've never tried them. I use a damp paper towel. It's free and does the job. I think it would depend on the ingredients, as I wouldn't want to overexpose my skin to chemicals by using something continually throughout the day. For blackheads, I don't use strips, they never really worked for me. I extract them the old fashion way.

marmot8

Reaction score
Do guys here use facial masks? Not something I've ever considered, but am not opposed to trying if its beneficial.

ctkim

Reaction score
GF has made me try the mint julep mask. I liked it. Makes your skin feel refreshed.

Mr Martini

Reaction score
Just picked up some st ives apricot exfoliator and anthony logistics facial moisturizer. hopefully this stuff helps me out some.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
St Ives Apricot exfoliating cream? I bought that because it was cheap. I'm not sure there is much you can do about the blackheads. You can keep extracting all you want but your pores are not going to shrink in size and eventually something is going to fill in the space again. Ask people to film you in standard definition?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads