• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial moisturizers

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've got problem skin, find yourself the best damn dermatologist money can buy. Sometimes a local "city" magazine will have a "top doctors" issue -- look in there for one who specializes in facial skin. All dermatologist are NOT alike. You want to find one who specializes in facial skin problems/concerns. They can make a huge difference in terms of prescribing various lotions, medications and pills that work together. Basically, if you're prone to breakouts, the right dermatologist can fix you up so you'll never or almost never break out again. For those in the DC area (Virginia actually), Dr. Jack Costa is the man to see....

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why buy an expensive facial moiturizer made of in-organic minerals and who knows what? Why clog your pores with stuff that is sold to make some businessman a millionaire? Why not apply wheatgrass juice to the face. This will give you the best results at a price of .05 cents a serve.
biggrin.gif
Many high end lotions tend to use organic materials. For example Sisley Paris is well known for this.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a dermatologist that I think pretty highly of, who told me that the best he knows of is a moisturizer called Complex 15 (use the lotion, and not the thicker "face cream").

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does using a face moisturizer help you're skin to look younger, prevent wrinkles, etc...?

marc37

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc37,23 July 2004, 05:21
Why buy an expensive facial moiturizer made of in-organic minerals and who knows what? Why clog your pores with stuff that is sold to make some businessman a millionaire? Why not apply wheatgrass juice to the face. This will give you the best results at a price of .05 cents a serve.
biggrin.gif

Many high end lotions tend to use organic materials. For example Sisley Paris is well known for this.
Sorry Labelking: l meant poorly absorbed minerals [not in-organic minerals]; sorry. l wouldn't get too excited about organic minerals in face creams: it means absolutely nothing. lf you pay extra for organic minerals, you are being had big time. Don't get sucked in by technical talk LabelKing. Organic is a very abused term. Watch out one and all.
biggrin.gif
lf you put wheatgrass juice over your face, you will have more organic minerals than you can poke a stick at. Wheatgrass is one of the most nutritional liquids on earth. (lt is certainly the most practicle nutritious liquid on earth). P.S: you cannot lose with a daily application of wheatgrass juice.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
There are lots of good moisturizers that are unlikely to clog pores and cause breakouts. You cannot rely on labels that say "non-comodogenic" "dermatologist tested" or "won't clog pores" because those those claims are not regulated by the FDA and companies can lie. You could bottle poison ivy and label it "ideal for sensitive skin." To find out if something will clog your pores, you need to research all the ingredients (or do like me and incorporate much of the advice and writings of Paula Begoun at www.cosmeticscop.com) *and* do plenty of experimentation. There is never any guarantee that a specific ingredient will or will not be problematic for a given person. Not all skin types need a moisturizer, although salespeople will tell you otherwise. If you are unsure if you need one, just experiment a little. There is no need to spend a ton of money on skin-care products - they're all made from the same inexpensive ingredients. By the way, Nivea's after shave balms are a type of moisturizer. All after shave balms are. Bonus: after shaves are the equivalent of what are marketed to women as "toners." While not all skin types need moisturizer, all skin types do need sunscreen. A good sunscreen has both adequate UVB protection (SPF 15 or higher) and UVA protection (active ingredient listing that includes at least one of the following: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or avobenzone aka Parsol 1789 [outside of the United States Mexoryl SX or Tinosorb is also used]).

mschumacher

Reaction score
i had a quick question. Â i use chanel egoiste platinum aftershave and pure simplicity moisterizer. Â both have a very nice smell to it but now i'm curious 1. should i use them both or one would do. Â i don't want one to take away from the other. Â if i should use both then 2. what's the order, aftershave, then moisturizer? thanks guys and girls http://www.goethe.de/gr/dub/projekt/bilder/mschum_1.jpg[/IMG]

Andrew V.

Reaction score
You apply your after shave, give it a moment to soak in and apply then your moisturizer. Remember that the fragrances in the product are good for your nose but not for your skin.

You don't necessarily need both products, mschumacher. Depending on your skin type, using one or the other or both or neither will work best. Just experiment.

I'm hoping that your Chanel Egoiste Platinum aftershave is not a standard concoction of water, alcohol, and fragrance. If so, then what you have is diluted cologne, best suited for anything but delicate, freshly-shaved skin.

Leo Jay

Reaction score
... I am 25, and I want to start taking care of my face while I am young so that I can stay looking that way...

For what it's worth, in my experience, the best way to 'upgrade' your skin regimen is to eat lots of fresh fruit, leafy dark greens (spinach, kale, etc.) and vegetables on a regular basis (i.e. daily), drink lots of water (at least 32 oz. daily, and much more if you have a strenuous daily exercise regimen), and avoid processed sugars and hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated oils.

Requires some discipline, but it's pretty cost-effective.

auto90403

Reaction score
my college dermatologist recommended petroleum jelly on eyelids and under the eyes at bedtime. a very light amount. she said PJ was an occlusive and would help draw fluids from the body into the delicate skin around the eye. and more fluid would stave off visible signs of aging.

stache

Reaction score
Back to the original poster, you want to put on the moisturizer right after you wash your face to trap that water content. In the morning you need some kind of sunscreen to ward off aging. I use a #15 sunscreen eye cream (it varies as to what's on sale) in the corners of my eyes right where the crows feet will start. As you get older and you see those crows appear you will know how much further you will need to spread that lotion.
smile.gif

chapunso

Reaction score
I am going to follow your advice, guys. I am buying kiehl's facial moisturizing and face scrub. By the way. i have been using a hair gel from the art of shaving that I think it's good. Do you know how goos the one from kiehl's is?.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really don't care for the kiehl's hair grooming products except for creme with silk groom; their gels are okay, their solid grooming aid is decent but there are hair care companies that do a hell of a better job (kms for example)

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had a quick question. Â i use chanel egoiste platinum aftershave and pure simplicity moisterizer. Â both have a very nice smell to it but now i'm curious 1. should i use them both or one would do. Â i don't want one to take away from the other. Â if i should use both then 2. what's the order, aftershave, then moisturizer? thanks guys and girls ]http://www.goethe.de/gr/dub/projekt/bilder/mschum_1.jpg[/IMG]
Either one will do - they won't 'take away from each other' but it'll be overkill. I'm a little strange, I use the Egoiste aftershave on places where I shave, but regular face lotion around my eyes...Egoiste seems a little too rich for my combination skin. Oh, and don't forget sunscreen. With regard to Kielhs hair products, I'm a fan of the solid grooming aid. I used American Crew Fiber and Pomade for years, then started buzzing my head. When I grew my hair out, I couldn't stand the texture of the Pomade, too sticky. I switched to the Solid Grooming Aid and couldn't be happier. However, I would only recommend the Solid Grooming Aid to someone who needs only a light hold. It feels dry to the touch, as if nothing is in your hair...it just helps you mold it. Great for when a woman runs her hand through your head, but bad if you need maximum control. And I can also vouch Hermes' recommendation, KMS gel. Used it for a long time too, in fact I still have half a bottle in my medicine cabinet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads