• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Facial Hair: Does this Happen to You?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bakerloo Line
This is called pili multigemini - do a Google search on it.

Interesting. This is frequently what it looks like if I'm able to seperate the hairs (wiki photo):

Pili_Multigemini.jpg

pilimultigemini01.jpg

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I don't understand some of the advice in this thread. Electric razors don't shave as close as blades and blades make one more susceptible to ingrown hairs because of how close they shave.

This is only true with multiple blade razors. The blades on a multiblade razor grab the hair, each one progressively pulling the hair out a little bit further, until the last chops it off. The problem with this is that once it is cut, it recedes back underneath the skin. For curly haired fellows like myself, this presents a major problem.

Electrics pose a similar problem. They basically compress the skin in order to expose more of the hair, prior to cutting. Once again, the hair recedes back underneath the skin. I know many people that use electrics with no problem. If you have curly hair though, good luck.

With a straight blade or safety razor, there is no pulling. You are cutting the hair that is exposed above the surface. With proper lubrication, and exfoliation, you can get the best possible shave, all with no irritation.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
This is only true with multiple blade razors. The blades on a multiblade razor grab the hair, each one progressively pulling the hair out a little bit further, until the last chops it off. The problem with this is that once it is cut, it recedes back underneath the skin. For curly haired fellows like myself, this presents a major problem.
Any razor removes the top layer of skin, not just multiple blade razors.
Electrics pose a similar problem. They basically compress the skin in order to expose more of the hair, prior to cutting. Once again, the hair recedes back underneath the skin. I know many people that use electrics with no problem. If you have curly hair though, good luck.
I agree that the shape of the follicles can contribute to ingrown hairs (African Americans have much more problems typically with ingrown hairs than Caucasians for example) but one shouldn't be compressing the skin whether using an electric or regular razor. Stretching possibly, but not compressing or pushing on the skin to shave. Also, I have curly hair and I'm susceptible to ingrown hairs which is why I switched to an electric. It doesn't shave as close as a razor so the hairs don't end up as short as with a razor.
With a straight blade or safety razor, there is no pulling. You are cutting the hair that is exposed above the surface. With proper lubrication, and exfoliation, you can get the best possible shave, all with no irritation.
I agree with what your saying about lubrication and preparation, however the razor get right up against the skin. The cutters of an electric have a foil between them and the skin. It just seems obvious to me that one gets a closer shave with a razor and a closer shave begets more of a chance of ingrown hairs. If you're saying the "best possible shave" meaning a closer shave then we're saying the same thing. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

hastur

Reaction score
Yeah I get these. You really have to catch them before they're there for too long, otherwise every once in awhile they can cause the same kind of issues an ingrown hair can (raised red/painful bump similar to a zit/pimple). They seem to just come right out too, no pain or anything like pulling a regular hair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads