• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Face Shape and Collar Spread

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Spread is the default collar on SF, often people are admonished for anything else. However, I was taught that the shape of one's face dictates what collar one wears. Do people in the know still adhere to that guideline or is it all spread all the time?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know Flusser makes the argument that face shape should determine collar spread. I used to believe it, if for no other reason than that Flusser said it. But now, after gaining more experience paying attention to these things, I just don't think it's true. Nobody looks good in a point collar. Or better, no one looks better in a point collar than they'd look in a spread collar.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I think a point collar looks pretty bad most of the time. I don't have a narrow face, but spread collar still looks significantly better!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think your neck size is more relevant than facial shape. Collar should coordinate with the type of knot you tie as well. All should be in proportion, face, neck, tie knot, lapel, shoulder, that way nothing stands out on its own.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Collar should coordinate with the type of knot you tie as well.

I agree to a degree, but prevailing logic in these parts is that it's better to go too small than 2 large. they do 4ih with cutaway around here all the time. I personally tie a nicer half-windsor than 4ih though.

Matt S

Reaction score
A spread collar is the standard collar, anyone can wear it. Point collars and cutaway collars are the ones that are harder to wear for certain face shapes.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I know Flusser makes the argument that face shape should determine collar spread. I used to believe it, if for no other reason than that Flusser said it. But now, after gaining more experience paying attention to these things, I just don't think it's true. Nobody looks good in a point collar. Or better, no one looks better in a point collar than they'd look in a spread collar.

I agree, nobody looks good on the dated collars.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I think your neck size is more relevant than facial shape. Collar should coordinate with the type of knot you tie as well. All should be in proportion, face, neck, tie knot, lapel, shoulder, that way nothing stands out on its own.

+1 This is vital and completely true.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neck size --> collar height.

Head shape + mandible angles = face shape --> collar spread.

Don't forget the whole [tie knot, lapels' gorges, suit collar shape, suit cut, shoes] . . . as Despos wrote.

-M

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two elements to neck measures, circumference and length, short or long neck.
Base collar height on neck length balance the size of the collar leaf with neck circumference

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear spread and cutaway collars because I have really high insteps. Makes perfect sense, imho.

stillerfan07

Reaction score
I have a triangular chin, so the spread collar looks better on me.
But the weird thing is, that 's also going to vary over time, as you put on or lose more weight in the face.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I had this conversation with Will Field (Fields English Custom Tailors; Georgetown) just a couple of weeks ago when he measured me for my bespoke shirts. Asked him what collar he recommended given my face/neck. He said a slightly raised collar given my slightly longer neck and a somewhat wide point collar but definitely not a spread. Asked him why not a spread and he replied that my narrow face would not look harmoneous with a spread collar and given my preference for four-in-hand knots, he didn't think that would work well either.

I was a bit surprised to hear an argument in direct contast with those offered by the Flusser (he urges spread collars on the narrow-faced and point collars on the fat-faced) in order to balance the head.

Regardless, I went with Will's advice. Cary Grant went with point collars, so I am skeptical about sweeping claims about their inferiority relative to spreads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads